Several Uses for Old Maps

Here are some creative uses for old maps.

Place Under Glass

I used an old map to cover the top of a badly scratched desk. Laid the map on top and covered with a piece of glass I had cut to order.

By Ann

Decorate Boxes

My dad covers old ice-cream cartons (the kind you can get from ice cream shops after they're empty) with old maps to use as trashcans. They really look nice and they're dirt cheap.

By Calnorth

Creative Wallpaper

We rented a 2 bedroom, one bath home in another state for six weeks a couple of years ago. The bathroom had been wallpapered in roadmaps. It was really fun to see even our small town listed there. And we found many places that we had visited while on vacation.

By Great Granny Vi

Place on Paneled Doors as Decor

I teastain them and burn the edges to give them a vintage look. I then cut them to the correct size and hot glue or paste them on the raised panels on my doors. The panels themselves are already framed, in essence. It really dresses up those ugly six-paneled cheapy looking doors.

By Suzanne S.

Make Envelopes

My sister has made me a set of envelopes made from old National Geographic maps. You could probably find a template online or just take apart one from the mail. The construction is pretty easy and they look wonderful. She also giftwraps with them and sometimes does original artwork with maps as well.

By Jess

Mail To Your Friends

Cut out designs in starburst shape, etc., and glue to your personal mail to friends. Like, "I am on the road again" or "Come see me sometime", "Heading out again", etc. Use your imagination.

By Syd

Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.

This only takes a little bit of the map, but you can make a lot of them. Cut shapes of cars, bikes, trucks, etc (any type of transportation) out of a heavy card stock. With a good glue, adhere the map onto the card stock, making sure the edges are turned over or cut nicely. If you want you can decoupage it. Add buttons for the tires, And add a pinback to the back and you have a pin ready to wear. Without the pinback you can use as decorating. Just have fun with the idea!

What a great idea. I buy a new Rand Macnally road map book every year. Think how many pages of maps are in the old books. Wow. Decoupage would work but I love the idea of the maps under the glass desk top.

Uses for Old Maps, Photo of an old map.
Uses for Old Maps
Crafts Recycled CraftsApril 11, 2007
Cookie sheet
Uses for Old Cookie Sheets
Creative Wallpaper
Creative Wallpaper Ideas
Uses for Old Briefcases, Worn two strap leather briefcase.
Uses for Old Briefcases
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys