Musty Smell on Clothing

I've been hanging my clothes inside to dry. Lately they've been having a musky smell. How can I get rid of the odor?

By Kathy

Best Answer

I would stop hanging your clothes indoors. That is likely what is causing the musty smell. You are not getting enough air circulation to dry properly.

What I would do first, if possible, is rewash these clothes with vinegar in the wash, and then hang them out in the sun and wind. If that doesn't work, check out the archives here as there are tons of suggestions, and one in the tips section of today's newsletter.

I add 20 Mule Team Borax laundry booster along with my regular detergent to my wash. My husband drives a gas hauler and I get the fuel smell out that gets in his uniforms, works every time!

I have tried everything with regards to washing musty smelling clothes and finally discovered what works every time. Put the article of clothing in the freezer! All gone. The freezing expands the water molecules within the mold cells and breaks the cell wall and they die.

Does the clothing have to be wet or dry?

Basket of musty smelling clothing.
Removing Musty Smell from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsOctober 11, 2010
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Must Leather Couch
Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
🎄