Wash Out Lint Trap To Prevent Fires

Many people don't know it but using dryer sheets, especially Bounce, can actually start dryer fires. To prevent this every couple weeks, remove your dryer lint trap and wash it with dish soap and warm water and then let it dry. This is recommenced by firefighters.

By Mythi from Silverdale WA

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/ ... d-myths-of-dryer-fires-306/index.htm

I guess I'm giving my age away, but I remember when these things were't even thought about, and we all got along fine (and so did our laundry). Yes, they make the clothes smell nice, but the inhibit absorbency in articles like towels. The only time I use anything like this is when I'm trying to prevent static cling, and then I use very little. Fabric softeners and dryer sheets have been known to cause allergies, lung irritations, and asthma in addition to fires. And people who have these very problems continue to use them, making their conditions worse. Thanks for the warning. I hope it saves at least one family from a possible fire.

Yes, I agree with Susan...there was a time when none of these items existed and we did just fine. I deemed this item a health hazard a long time ago and have not used dryer sheets/fabric softeners in many, many years. Not only as a preventative health measure, but also regarding all of the money I have saved over the years! I was aware, however, about the fire hazard of an unclean lint filter. You can take that safety precaution a step further and vacuum the exhast hose from time to time, as it can get clogged with lint that gets through the filter. Just my 2 cents!

Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
Better Living Safety HomeJune 14, 2007
laundry basket of clean clothing
Preventing Lint on Clothing
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Lint Roller
Uses for a A Lint Roller
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires