Marking Your Leftover Food

When putting foods up after a meal or after preparing, be sure to label what's in the dish, the date prepared, whether you're putting in the refrigerator or the freezer. By doing so, you'll be able to see the labels upon opening the door to look in at what all you have available to eat immediately.

These days everyone's in a hurry. So if the kids or hubby are searching for something to eat, it's right there in plain sight. Also, it helps keep the refrigerator clean.

Label your frozen food when you first put it in the freezer, any labels or marking pens will write on the bags or boxes. After a bag or package is frozen, it's harder to get stickers to adhere.

By Terri from NV

Terri, I found the grooviest tape for using as frig or freezer tape that WON'T come off the food container and will even stick to containers that are already cold. I was SO discouraged about even freezer tape coming off things in the freezer. It's 3M's masking tape for hard to stick surfaces. I am so glad to have found this tape! It's got high adhesion and it says it won't come off wallboard and paint after 3 days, but I've never had any trouble whatsoever getting it off any of my containers. Best of all it's so much cheaper than regular old freezer tape. AND it's bright green so it stands out better. Run, don't walk to the hardware store and get some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's in the painting masking tape aisle. You can't miss the color.

Love,

Susan in Omaha

I just discovered a very helpful idea for storing leftovers for the freezer or refrigerator. I always have plenty of butter tubs/sour cream/cottage cheese containers that I just can't bring myself to throw away. I used to put leftovers in them, then forget about them and throw them away. I just realized that if you take a permanent black marker and write the item and date on either the side or the top of the container, its easy to identify, and you don't have to open 5 different ones to find what you want! Then...the marker will wash off with soapy water and its ready to use again. This tip has saved many leftovers in this house.

thanks for letting me know, Susan, I'll definitely be looking for this!!

Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Keeping Track of Leftovers
Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceDecember 2, 2005
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🎉
🎄