My Frugal Life: Shop At Yard Sales

We started our married life with only one electric fry pan, that we cooked EVERYTHING in. When we got an apartment, I started going to tag sales. Just about everything we had we got at them. Then when people asked me where I got the nice things, I would say at the early yard sale store. When our babies came along, again tag sales provided us with crib, changing table and clothes. I just had to buy diapers. At the grocery store, the markdown produce and meat, crushed boxes and cans (that were not open or bulging), meat that said use that day, or freeze.

We raised 4 children and they were always dressed nice. When the grandkids came along, I bought a used toy box, and each week I would go to tag sales and buy toys, sterilize them and put in the box. When the kids came over, the first place they went was to the toy box. Life is what you make it.

By Sandy from Uncasville, CT

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

We started with two electric skillets: a small one and a large one. I used them for all of our cooking for several months before we could afford a stove. I was so grateful that I could make two things at once! I'd almost forgotten about those days. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

I so believe we are related; I do all you said, plus dumpster dive.

Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJuly 13, 2010
A table full of items for sale at a garage sale.
Finding Garage Sales
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
Vintage China Pin Cushions
Making Vintage China Pincushions
Old Record Player
Uses for Old Record Players