Suggestions for Selling Antiques at a Yard Sale

I had a booth in a small town antique store. I didn't really make any money, but as long as I made enough to cover my rent and expenses, I kept my booth open. As the economy worsened, my booth no longer paid for itself, so I brought everything home. Now, I would like to have a yard sale with all of my remaining items. Any suggestions?

By Mamie from Kingston, TN

I don't have any advice, but in the area that I live in people expect to get everything at a yard sale, for next to nothing. It doesn't matter what the item is the customers just plain act like you should be giving it away. It might be different in TN, but in SD people don't want to pay anything for items at a yard sale.

That's how it is in the antique business too. Most of the time, I would buy something that needed some work on it, like a old bedroom dresser or rocking chair. I would touch it up (clean, sand, refinish, etc.) to make it nice to sell, but no one wanted to pay enough for an item to even cover my expenses. Goodwill may be the easiest way to get rid of my old stuff. Thanks!

Try ebay or craigslist or take a loss and sell to another dealer.

Sorry about your booth not bringing you income now. Just think about all of the time you spent having the booth, keeping up with the descriptions, displaying and etc. You are even loosing money if you just pay for your booth space. You are loosing lots of time, effort (which is money) and, the cost of the antiques when you purchased them. So, any money you would get elsewhere would have been in your hand quickly and allow you to do something else to make money with that money. However, you probably were making money at first and that encouraged you to do more. Glad you are getting out before loosing more. Bartering might bring you something you like, instead of having what you do not need. Who knows, only one person needs to want what you have and there is that sale. Oh, what if you advertised estate sale or antique sale on your signs and put them out by Wed. since some dealers buy on Thur. and Fri. and sell on Saturdays, that is what a person told me once. Hope you get back something for your hard work.

Yard Sale
Selling at Yard Sales vs Online Auctions
Consumer Advice Collectibles AntiquesJuly 18, 2010
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
Antiques and Collectibles
Finding the Value for Antiques and Collectibles
Furniture Being Sold at Estate Sale
Having an Estate Sale