Changing the Color of Fabric Vertical Blinds

We just painted our family room. The main walls are light kaki and on three walls the lower half (separated by a shelf) is sage green. We have a 10' sliding glass door. About 5 years ago we put up vertical blinds. They have fabric inserts that are a light grey, kind of a tweedy color. Do you have any ideas on how to either dye these inserts (they slide out) or perhaps paint some kaki and green. Our furniture is black and kaki leather.

The rug color is beige. We checked the price to get new inserts and we might as well just replace the whole blind, it's too expensive. These are in perfect condition. I was thinking of maybe also adding a valance with my colors to the existing valance that covers the blind's workings.

Valery from Cranford, NJ

I'm sure you could paint the vanes. Take them out, lay them flat and paint them. You could use the leftover wall paint-maybe every other one in the 2 colors? Should be an easy job and a very custom look!

I was going to suggest either painting the slats with the wall colors or you can find fabric and adhere them to them. I seen this done on a decorating show once. Good luck.

Thanks for your ideas. The only problem with painting the vanes themselves is they are made to hold an insert of fabric. We did think of cutting new fabric to insert. I just can't figure out how to possibly cut the strips straight . Any ideas on that??? Val

You could use a rotary cutter and ruler (used by quilters) to cut the fabric. I also purchased this kind of blinds before but without the fabric and cut wallpaper strips to fit the vanes. I was able to change the color at least 3 times over the years before the vanes actually started to chip.

I recently painted my kitchen and breakfast nook. I have fabric vertical blinds that are 18 years old and white. I am wanting to have blinds that are the same color of the walls, honey colored. Today, I found a can of Design Master Colortool Floral Spray that is a fabric paint. I tested it on a piece of white scrap cloth and it came out beautifully. It does not appear as a heavy paint, rather a gentle color overlay. It is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll post an update after I've done my vertical blinds. I'm confident it will do what I want it to do. This can of fabric paint was purchased at Michael's for $3.00 (sale price).

Can you show me the fabric spray .done on vertical blinds .plz the can of master collection floral spray

Hi again,

Well, I spray painted the vertical blinds. It did a beautiful job of changing white blinds to pale gold or honey color. I was very pleased with the paint itself. However, the blinds took on a little puckered look in spots. Not real bad but enough to notice. I ironed them on the back side and it helped some. This process actually works but they aren't quite as straight as before. It also could be because I washed them before i painted them. All in all, the floral spray paint is excellent.

Fabric inserts can be removed from the "groover inserts" and replaced. I have seen quite a few sites online where you can order replacements in hundreds of colors. Search groover inserts vertical blinds.

i bought a fabric, plastic, leather all in one paint at the automotive store that i used to change my carpet and interior of my car. it worked great. this might be perfect for your problem. you would have to do it outside (but not when it's windy..lol) it would work on the fabric and the plastic parts of your blinds. also it comes in many colours. hope this helps

I saw some perfect fabric (long, thin fabric drapes) that I am going to buy, cut into strips and use spray fabric adhesive to attach to the old vertical inserts. A fabric and craft store should have everything needed. Do you think that would work for you?

To cut a straight line in the fabric, make a snip after measuring, pull a couple of threads running lengthwise, start pulling and gathering the fabric. Pull these threads completely out and it will leave you a perfectly straight line to cut.

Has anyone used latex wall paint on fabric vanes?

Vertical Blinds
Changing the Color of Vertical Blinds
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsOctober 29, 2005
Closed Mini Blinds
Reusing Mini Blinds
Fabric Window Blinds
Cleaning Fabric Window Blinds
Roman Blinds
Changing the Color of Roman Blinds
Cleaning mini blinds square
Cleaning Mini Blinds
🎉
🎄