Selling Recycled Bag Rugs

There were plenty of reusable shirt bags behind a clothier here and a handy video to make short work of making the plarn necessary to create handmade items.

The pink areas are made from 30 bags for a dollar plastic kitchen bags providing much needed color for interest! The fringe took nearly all of 3 whole pink bags.

My problem is that I am not in a zone that I can sell retail from which I had hoped. So, on Sundays across from me at a park, it is busier than any other day. Taking advantage of that, I backed my truck up to near the end of my driveway, leaving enough room for 1 other vehicle to get off the street.

I have an over-the-door towel rack that I don't use for towels that fit nicely over the top of my tailgate and I fastened my crocheted rug to it with with my price tag clearly visible! No one bought my rug, but I know I can at least TRY, which is 1/2 the success!

I would like a copy of the pattern if you dont mind sharing it. helen4211 AT email2me.net

That rug is really neat looking. I see the big sign that reads $20, but along with that, try extending your advertisement by making a sign that reads something like: "Hand made crocheted plastic rugs for only $20 each". Also make a few fliers to hang up on community bulletin boards like at the library, or dept. store, or the super market in your area, and for an added advertisement, along with that flier make a small order form and staple it to the flier and have a family member or friend take it to their work or community function to get orders for you.

Or...bring the flier w/order form attached and one rug with you to your next summer gathering to show to friends and you may get orders right on the spot. Please excuse me for maybe going overboard on ideas, but to me there are so many ways you can advertise your rugs. I am a crafter also and and make many things as well as design clothing, and I always tell others that its all in your presentation. N

ever look like you're in need of the purchase, believe in your work, have confidence in your craft, and think it worth a lot more than what you're asking, be patient and focus on making just one sale and watch more orders will start pouring in. I think your craft is awesome. Please post and let everyone know how things turned out.

That rug is really neat looking. I see the big sign that reads $20, but along with that, try extending your advertisement by making a sign that reads something like: "Hand made crocheted plastic rugs for only $20 each". Also make a few fliers to hang up on community bulletin boards like at the library, or dept. store, or the super market in your area, and for an added advertisement, along with that flier make a small order form and staple it to the flier and have a family member or friend take it to their work or community function to get orders for you. Or...bring the flier w/order form attached and one rug with you to your next summer gathering to show to friends and you may get orders right on the spot. Please excuse me for maybe going overboard on ideas, but to me there are so many ways you can advertise your rugs. I am a crafter also and and make many things as well as design clothing, and I always tell others that its all in your presentation. Never look like you're in need of the purchase, believe in your work, have confidence in your craft, and think it worth alot more than what you're asking, be patient and focus on making just one sale and watch more orders will start pouring in. I think your craft is awesome. Please post and let everyone know how things turned out.

Melody I grew up in Sedalia MO and I remember lots of folks making these rugs. Did you braid them or crochet them? Thanks, Cindy

hello, what are these that you make? thanks.

oh gosh i see they are rugs, im sorry. how cute. email me at precioustaylor@stjoelive.com i might be interested in some. thanks. Donita.

How cool is that? You rock!

thanks everyone for the positive feedback ! That's always nice !

Helen (Guest Post)~::~ I didn't use a pattern.I did this project all from out of my head.But if you can crochet & can crochet a circle,then that's all you really need other than the materials & have in mind how big you want it for yourself to be!

------------------------------------------------------

sbb1 ~::~

Thanks for the compliments!

My small sign was intended to not hide the whole project behind.I did think,however of a larger one but decided it would be more of a hazard then not.

Because of the heavy traffic from the Sunday Soccer Game across the street at the park & cars out in my road due to the crowded parking lot,I was afraid if I made a reason to slow cars down even more (there is a SLOW sign but it doesn't always work) that I would be making an imposition or even a nuisance & didn't want to make or get in trouble.

About the fliers,BullBoards etc. : that's ALSO a very good idea.I do have some other rugs crocheted but haven't gotton into selling any of them.

No: your not overboard on the ideas.I appriciate the input so THANK YOU ! All the expertise is much welcomed!

-----------------------------------------------------------

(Guest Post)Cindy ~::~ Yes they are crocheted!Yes these rugs have been well known here,if not popular. Where are you now? I have been here all of my life (46 years)

donisue ~::~

these are plastic rag rugs I crochet from (mostly)recycled plastic shirt bags from a clothing store here.The pink is from new materials:plastic trash sacks cut into strips for added color.

---------------------------------------------------------

donisue ~::~

ok I will email mail you the very next thing I do :)

Yep That is too cool! I can see your genius in the design from your head - Been there Do that currently myself!

Brainstorm is A GOOD thing!

Cate Grabtree dot com

Am I missing someting? How could you use safely use a plastic rug without someone sliping on it?

And where would you use it for any value since it is not absorbant?

nova 1942 @ comcast. net

Wow! that is so cool! Do you think you could tell me how to make them? I'm only twelve so I hope that I can make them. I am quite smart for my age and some teachers say I have the brain of a 16 yr old on average! I hope you will post the instructions because they are so awesome and cool!

<b> Amy </b> (Guest Post) if you are allowed to go to Youtube you can find out how to crochet there.They have lots of HOW TO videos !

<b> Peggy </b> (Guest Post)

RE:Am I missing something? How could you use safely use a plastic rug without someone slipping on it?

And where would you use it for any value since it is not absorbent?

I like using them sometimes on the deck or back patio - they are handy to wipe my feet on when I get a little muddy out in the yard. Also, most of my home is carpeted so they don't slip. And sometimes to just have something because it's "pretty" is nice,so if it has no real function (such as : nicknacks or brickabrack) that's ok.

Thanks everyone!

It's cute, but I would be concerned it would be slick on the floor. Apart from that, if you are marketing it as a green product, then don't buy bags for it, using new bags isn't green.

pink and white bag rug
Selling Recycled Bag Rugs
Crafts Selling CraftsJune 25, 2008
Rag Rug
Selling Rag Rugs
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs
🎄