BuildingHome Improvement

Putting Siding on a Building

My husband has built a studio in the back. He purchased some siding today and we need information on how to put the siding on the building. What else does he need besides the siding? How does he start?

Frances from Las Vegas, NV

I'm sure he bought the starter strip. It attaches pretty easy with either screws or nails. When we added on a back porch I had the job to take down the siding on our house...I preferred taking off the screws than the nails. Also, easier to put up with the screw gun. One hand is free to hold up the siding.

I got your message and I sent a reply, but I'm not sure which you'll find first. My husband said not to use a nail gun. He used a hammer instead. Most of them were used with a screw gun.

The reason being is that the nail gun has too much pressure and then there is no give to the siding to allow movement due to weather changes and it will eventually warp. It doesn't matter which he chooses, nail with hammer/screw, make sure that they are a little loose.

You need to go to any nearest Home depot for the books showing how to do this. You do not need to buy it, just looking and ask the stuff for the instructions. The store maintains the classes how to do this using the construction materials. Then do not forget the insulation from the heat, bugs, fire.