Duplicate Catalog Style with Thrift Store Finds

I love Pottery Barn styles for my decor. When their catalog comes to my house, I study it for weeks, until the new one comes. Then I go to garage sales/thrift shops and find "look-a-like" decor and refurbish it to fit in my home.

I just bought a coffee/end table set that was the same as one of their sets minus the paint. The 3 tables cost $20 plus $8 for a quart of paint. I painted the legs and base of each table black. After a few coats of poly, they will be in my family room looking just like a brand new set from Pottery Barn. I just saved hundreds of dollars and it looks like a million.

My catalog came yesterday. I have an old bird's nest on my eaves. I think I will look for a decorative jar to put it in tomorrow at garage sales - another idea from PB!

By Susan from Elkhart, IN

Crafters seem to like to try to reproduce what they see at Anthropologie. I love to window shop there!

Old bird's nest = germs maybe?

They do have germs, use gloves when you touch it. I had one once for couple of weeks in classroom in a container with removable top. Students could see what materials birds used to make a home.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Budget DecoratingJuly 28, 2011
Catalog Shopping
Catalog Shopping Tips
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Old Lace Pillow
Crafts Using Old Lace
Photo of Dorothy from the movie The Wizard of Oz.
Making a Dorothy Costume (Wizard of Oz)