RepairingClothing

Fixing A Tank Top That Droops

I have a striped square neck tank top with gray piping that needs a slight modification. The top chest area is 1/2 inch too wide. After an hour, the chest area stretches out and sags. Then it's a good inch too wide and droopy on top. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

I'm assuming that the tank top has some kind of hem edge or band in the area where it's drooping. Get some elastic thread, if you don't already have some, or use any other very narrow elastic. If you can thread it through the hem edge or band with a bodkin, that would probably be the best way to fix the drooping.

Otherwise, use it low on the inside of the facing (where it won't be seen) and take tiny stitches with the elastic thread or tack the narrow elastic with thread so that it will pull the top edge in (from left to right) and make it a bit stretchy. You will need to hide the ends of the thread or elastic by taking some small stitches at the corners of the neckline, pull the end of the thread through the back of the facing and clip as closely as you can without damaging the top. Hopefully, this should be a permanent repair and make you more comfortable in public.

All of us have this problem with a top, blouse, or dress occasionally. Good luck with your repair.

If it was me I would put a dart in the corner on each side of the front. Just pinch the area together and sew on a machine or by hand.

Put some elastic across the front or insert some ribbon to draw up and tie in a bow.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. I fixed it by running a non-stretch clear ribbon through a hand stitched zig zag casing, gathering slightly, and then sewing down the ends to the excess material from the straps. Then I attached a piece of lace bias tape across the front to add height. The lace distracts the eye enough for the slight gathering to not show (otherwise it looks more like someone bunched the seam when it was stitched) and the clear tape adds stability. In short, I wore it proudly yesterday and it held up quite well.