Drag Bed Springs to Grade a Dirt Driveway

If you have a dirt driveway or lane, this tip is for you. Our lane is 1/4 mile long, and it gets worse every year with deep holes. As soon as it gets wet, either from snow and rain, or from the neighbor's irrigation system, it gets soft and we sink into the mud. We were afraid we would have to hire someone to grade it again.

Some friends came out Sunday because we had some banty chickens for some children they know. They took one ride down our lane and offered this suggestion: Tie an old set of bed springs to the back of your pickup. Tie on some cinder blocks to weight it down. Drive up and down the lane until it is smooth. That's it! They once lived in a rental with a whole mile of lane, and their landlady asked them how they kept it so nice! We just happen to have a set of bedsprings.

By Coreenhart from Rupert, ID

Thank you so much for posting this! I was just telling my husband that we needed to find someone to grade our driveway and, now, we can do it ourself! We have some old bedsprings in the barn. Thanks again and God bless.

I drag one behind the ATV. I also use one to scatter the manure in my pasture from 4 horses after a long winter.