Make A Thrifty Recycled Drink Container

contest winner icon

I am a person who cannot keep up with her belongings. Let me hasten to remind you that it is not age. I have always been a scatterbrain and I have watches, umbrellas, and car cups scattered all over. I can't make a watch or an umbrella, but I have come up with a freebie car cup. Older people in Houston need a ready supply of water during at least 10 months out of the year.

I took a large plastic mayonnaise jar and a bendy soda straw and voila! a car cup. DH drilled the holes in the plastic jar lid since he doesn't like me playing with his power toys. He drilled one hole for the straw and one for water displacement. If I lose it I have a ready supply of jars and straws on the shelf.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

That is a good ideal. Thanks.

Wow, what an amazing idea. You rock.

This is a really great idea! However, whatever you do, please don't reuse any plastics other than #2, #4 and #5 for food or beverage reuse because the others leach cancer causing chemicals. You can find the number on the bottom of the containers and when I just looked at my plastic mayonnaise jar it is listed as #1 and so were the peanut butter, honey, horseradish and other plastic jars.

There are glass jars with the same type of lids you're speaking of such as salad dressings sold in the produce section that could be safely used if you can't find plastic 2, 4 or 5 containers. :-)

I use a glass applesauce jar. I don't like eating or drinking out of plastics.

I was going to use a glass spaghetti sauce jar but opted for this one because it was plastic. I am also quite clumsy and I didn't want to take a chance on broken glass every where.

Marty, you really, really do have good idea, I just wanted you and all to stay safe regarding plastics. Since you mention you're clumsy and don't want broken glass everywhere maybe you could make a full body cozy to fit the glass jar of choice and then submit that. :-)

I love it! Totally elegant in it's simplicity, my favorite sort of thing. I'm going to look for jars right now. Thanks for a great tip!

I loved it! You thought out of the jar, I mean box!

First, do not drink out of plastic.

You are not a scatterbrain, just do what you are doing. Don't think about what you should do, just concentrate on what you are actually doing at the time.

August 2, 2010 Flag

If you want to take a cold drink in the car, I found a very thrifty container. I use a large cottage cheese or sour cream container with the lid. Just cut an X in the lid with a kitchen knife and insert a straw. Much less likely to spill than an open container.

By Harlean from Arkansas

Answers:

Thrifty Drink Container

That is a really "cool" idea! (07/31/2010)

By psr1lady

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Recycled Ribbon Dispenser
Recycled Container Craft Ideas
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 2, 2010
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
How To Recycle Paper
Making Recycled Paper
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
🎉
🎄