Lock Cigarettes in Your Trunk to Help You Quit

If you're trying to cut down on cigarettes in an effort to quit smoking, try locking them in the trunk of your car rather than keeping them on your person or in your house. The extra effort you will have to make to actually get to them when you feel the urge should help curb the desire. I had a friend who tried this with great success. She is now smoke-free!

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Thank you! What a great idea! My husband is trying to quit right now. MAYBE I could get him to try this. Sounds like it would help.

Thanks for a great tip! I have been quitting (actively) for a few months now. After smoking for over 35 years I'm down to about 1 cigarette per day and I never EVER thought I could quit, or even get as close as I am now.

***This is NOT medical advice, consult your doctor BEFORE trying any of this, except breathing, that is probably O.K.!***

Under a doctor's care, I have used the drug "Chantix" along with nicotine replacement therapy (commit lozenges and nicotine gum which are available over the counter). The drug company is not in favor of using nicotine replacement with the drug, but my doctor went to a special seminar and discussed my case with some top specialist and he absolutely said "go for it".

When I first started to quit I was using a nicotine inhaler available in the USA only by prescription. It was helpful because I needed something to inhale. I quickly discovered the only real deep breaths I was taking was when I smoked.

I have learned to consciously take deep breaths, starting at my belly then filling up, up, up to the top of my lungs. That helps the cravings a lot.

Breathing is a good thing as well, so I've heard! LOL!

There are a bunch of online support groups, start by googling "American Cancer Society" or "American Lung Assocation" or even "quit smoking".

Some folks do well with the "patch", but I was allergic to it and it gave me crazy, vivid dreams and it didn't give me something to do instead of smoke. The gum or lozenge gave me more control. When I would normally light up, I could pop in a gum or lozenge. I'm an instant gratification kinda gal.

If you have tried the nicotine gum in the past, try it again, they have improved the taste a lot!

I signed up to get a daily email from "Chantix" made by Phizer labs. They help you get ready to quit for several days before the quit date you choose.

Congrats to those who went "cold turkey" successfully, but this is how I have had some success and lots of hope.

Good luck!

Quit Smoking
Quitting Smoking
Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 3, 2007
Using Electronic Cigarettes to Quit Smoking
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
three ornaments
Making Christmas Tree Trunk Ornaments