Storing Finished Craft Projects

I haven't actually participated in a craft fair yet, but I'm trying to build up an inventory of my finished craft projects in preparation of a craft show. How does everyone store their finished crafts to keep them clean, etc.?

Brenda from Muncie, IN

hi brenda, i am in the same situation. i too am trying to stock up on my inventory and i havent sold at a craft show yet either. so i would like to know the same thing. good luck in your endeavor!

A lot depends on what I am making - how big it is - etc... Most of my stuff is small - silkscreened items, sewn items, jewelry - so I store it in plastic tubs already priced and sorted out by item. That makes it easy to load the van on the way to the show.

If your stuff is larger - you have a different problem - but large clear plastic bags and shelving set up somewhere are always an easy solution.

Good luck!

Thank you both very, very much for the great tips. About the plastic bags, I make dolls, shelf sitters, country and prim stuff and home decor. I had heard that fabric needs to breathe and should not be placed in air tight containers. Is this correct. This was just for fabric, but wouldn't the same apply for items made with fabric?

Rubbermaid or similar totes. You can get the ones you see through, so that you don't have to open it to see what you have. Or you can write on the top what's inside.

Don't use plastic bags. They don't protect your product, and the stuff on the bottom gets squashed.

Dont waste your money on plastic bins. They're heavy, and any fabric items stored in them are subject to mold and moisture, as well as to the smells from outgassing.

Instead, go to the office supply store and buy BANKER'S BOXES. They come in packs of 6 for about $6/pack-- less if you catch a sale. (I do a lot of flea markets, so I like to keep my overhead low.) These boxes are sturdy, but lightweight, and you can collapse them down when you're done, so off-season you're not giving up space to empty containers.

I use a strip of the double-faced red tape to attach a quart-size zip-closing bag to hold my inventory list. If I have a lot of small items I just shoot a picture of them and drop it in the envelope. I never mark the boxes, because then I don't have to figure out how to make new marks over old!

Another thing to consider is weight. Never use a container that is so heavy when it's full that you can't lift it by yourself!

Finally, measure the vehicle you're using to go to shows, and make sure you can load it efficiently. The boxes I use fit four across and two high on my back seat, and two high on the front passenger seat. My cooler and office supplies fit neatly in the passenger footwell. My trunk holds my chair, my umbrella, my tools, and any other odd-shaped supplies.

Out of season, my boxes can be stacked against one wall of my workroom in the house, protected from cold and moisture, and I can still get down boxes when I need to add items.

I like to use those plastic zipper bags that curtains, etc come in. I collect them from friends and family and store them until needed. They keep my projects clean and still allow some air to circulate. I do a lot of plastic canvas and these bags are great.

Craft Scissors and Paper
Organizing Craft Projects
Crafts OtherOctober 9, 2007
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Votive Wrapped in Twine
Candle Craft Ideas
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
A woman pouring wine into a pan.
Substitutions for Wine in Recipes
🎄
🍂