Remedies for Grey Hair

I am getting grey hair. What can I do?

By Joan from Roswell, NM

Purchase a semi-permanent hair color to cover the gray. The semi-permanent is a temporary color and will wash out after about 4-5 shampoos.

If you like the results then you can go with a permanent hair color that uses peroxide.

Pluck the grays out with a tweezer until your hair starts to thin, then start dying it.

* Use a sulfate-free shampoo made specially for color-treated hair or the dye will quickly fade!

I plucked my gray hairs out for over 15 years until I finally had to start dying my hair!

---> I like what MCW said too!

For years I used Loreal Preference to cover my grey hair. I picked the lightest shade as I believe it helps to keep the wrinkles from looking so prominent. Touch up to my mousy/grey hair was every 6 weeks. I finally got tired of that so I got a good haircut and let my hair go back to natural mousy and grey. And guess what, it looks so nice it matches my brown eyes and looks like it was professionally highlighted. No more coloring, expense, etc. Happy in Ohio

I like henna, and use Light Mountain brand, which I buy at a local food co-op. It isn't that expensive, and I only use 1/2 package at a time. I usually apply it every 3 months or so, and I have quite dark brown hair. It is messy, though, so just put newspaper everywhere in the bathroom, and be sure to wipe up any spots if they splatter. It works well to put the mixed henna in an old ketchup squeeze bottle (not the bottle from the store) and a small paintbrush helps, too.

I do not recommend plucking the gray hair out unless you have so much extra hair that you don't care if it permanently thins out! Plucking 'any' hair on your body continually over time damages that hair follicle to the point where the hair will no longer grow from it :-o

I go to the hairdresser every four weeks and have color put on. My hair grows fast and I do not like any light roots showing. If your hair does not grow fast, you can go longer. If you just have a few greys, get some product that only colors the grey. If you have a perm, hair color done at home seems to darken more on the ends than at the roots.

FLAUNT IT! Grey hair is beautiful! Look at Paula Deen, EmmyLou Harris, Heloise, just to name a few. Look for hair products specifically designed to make grey hair more beautiful. I get compliments on my grey hair! Maybe you will too. Besides, I hear it's all the rage now, and people are even asking for grey hair at salons. I just read that yesterday.

Deeli, oh Deeli, I wish that were so. For if it worked as you declare, there'd be no place for my tweezers to go. But alack and alas, I have to say that my chin gets attention most every day!

Life is cussid like that - I have very sparse eyebrows.

Joan, there are enough expenses in life without wasting money - we all recognize "dyed" hair when we see it sand anyway Sharmayla has a very good point, though I may be biased speaking as a gray/white non colored!

Popet, oh Popet ;-) Chin, nose and ear hairs arrive in females because of hormonal changes and just keep a comin' ;-) Not to be mean but I'll venture to bet you were an eyebrow plucker and that's why yours are now sparse. The same thing happens to the hairs on our head as happens with the eyebrows that are continually plucked. I know from whence I speak having been a hairstylist for 35 years and a second generation hairstylist at that ;-)

I do like your poem though and agree about natural color :-)

Sorry, and ya'll can call me vain if you like but grey is not ALWAYS beautiful. There is nothing more unattractive when we all walk out of the salon looking just alike, grey with a VERY short neckline cut or tight permed. When I have to find a new hairdresser if I walk out looking like everyone else I don't go back. I colored for years and when I decided to let it all grow off I looked tired and dull and my hair had no body. When I colored it again people raved at how attractive it was. I'll probably go to my grave as a blonde. Yes, grey can be beautiful on some but not all. The right color job can do wonders.

April 6, 2010 Flag

Are there any natural remedies for grey hair?

By Sajan from WA

Answers:

Remedies for Grey Hair

Gray hair is mainly genetic or health related so there is no specific remedy that would work for everyone other than monthly hair coloring to cover it up. Sorry. :-(

http://www.disabled-world.com/health/dermatology/hair/gray-hair-causes.php (01/21/2010)

By Deeli

Remedies for Grey Hair

I have read a few stories of people cleaning up their diet from processed foods, sugar, flour etc and eating mostly fish, whole grains, vegetables and were surprised when their grey hair turned back to their natural color. I don't think it works for everyone. Some say eating raw foods will do it. Others say foods rich in omega-3s will do it. Wheat grass was also mentioned. Stress and heredity also are factors in grey hair among others. (01/23/2010)

By Kaelle

January 20, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any treatments for greying of hair?

Meher from Mumbai

Answers:

Remedies for Grey Hair

I read years ago to boil walnut hulls - (the nut meat doesn't even have to be in them) let cool and apply.
I would also want to add a ring of petroleum jelly around the hairline (another tip I read years ago) so that clean up is easier due to the stain effect of the walnut dye on the skin. You didn't specify what color hair you had before it greyed, but what I told you is actually for dark brown hair.

(01/24/2007)

By melody_yesterday

RE: Remedies for Grey Hair

Remedies for Grey Hair

I am letting my hair grow out. I want to be a "natural grey". Who says we have to colour our hair? Let's have a revolt. Let us never be dictated to again by the so called beauty industry. (01/24/2007)

By Este

Remedies for Grey Hair

I will never have gray hair, coloring takes years off your appearance. A good hairdresser is the answer.

Jennifer from northern VA (01/24/2007)

By ILuvDobes

Remedies for Grey Hair

Tweezers. Eventually you just stop caring and let nature take its course. (01/24/2007)

By Jazzylazzy

Remedies for Grey Hair

Grey is beautiful. Leave it or use a little blueing to turn it a beautiful white. (01/31/2007)

By crazypete

Remedies for Grey Hair

Also having a good diet full of panthethenic acid and other B vitamins will delay the onset of grey hair due to stress. (02/07/2007)

Remedies for Grey Hair

You could also try coffee. (10/15/2008)

By melody_yesterday

woman with graying hair
Tips for Graying Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsApril 6, 2010
Dark Circles Under Eyes
Remedies for Dark Circles Under Eyes
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄