Leg Cramps While on Diabetes Medication

What diabetes medicine is the person on that sent in feedback about the power drink by Coke? She had leg cramps. I am having the same thing on Januvia.

Faye from AR

Best Answer

My diabetes medicine, Metformin, depletes my Vitamin B-12 out of my body. It might cause other vitamin deficiencies, that I don't know about. I do have toe and leg cramps when I don't take my Magnesium and Calcium supplements. I'm taking 2 a day of each, once in the morning, once at night. As long as I do, my backaches tend to go away.

The medication may be causing an imbalance of minerals.

The body needs a proper balance of sugar/potassium/salts or sodium in one form or another.

You may want to try a multi-mineral and a potassium tablet.

Make sure the multi-mineral has calcium and magnesium and vitamin D in it.

One tablet of potassium with this (99 mg.), should help balance this problem. If it persists, add a tablet of B6 to the mix.

A multi-vitamin added to this is a great help as any illness depletes the body of nutrients.

One other reason for cramping legs can be that the lower(spinal area below the waist), spine is out of alignment. The nerves in this area directly affect the legs and feet.

I wholeheartedly support the multivitamin idea. However, if potassium supplements are unavailable or beyond the budget, I'm told bananas are a prime source of potassium. I found a site loaded with info on foods that are rich in potassium: go to

Hope this helps!

Two of my friends were both experiencing leg cramps & went to their Dr's about them. Their Dr's. told them to check to see if their soda pop contains "aspertame." To test themselves, to not drink any diet soda pop for a few days then to drink the diet drinks and see it the leg cramps come back the day after they drank it. Both did the test and it was their diet drinks causing their leg cramps. The Dr's., both said aspertame effects different people in different ways.

Woman with a leg cramp.
Remedies for Leg Cramps
Health & Beauty AdviceDecember 15, 2008
A blister on a leg
Treating Leg Blisters
Woman with a Leg Cast
Underwear to Wear with a Leg Cast
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Preventing Leg Ulcers
Leg of Lamb
Leg of Lamb Recipes