Resume and Interview Tips for Job Hunters

Job hunting is a very prominent issue right now. There are several things that people can do to help them get on track when hunting.

The first is writing an impressive resume. Keep to the basics but don't get too vague. For instance, instead of saying "Got government contracts for our company" you would say "Solidified over $70,000 in government contracts in the year of 2008";. You also want to make sure your resume is not too long. You only want two pages if your skills and accomplishments are impressive enough and detailed enough to completely fill two pages. If you only have half of the second page filled, it is a good idea to either add or take away some information. Potential employers don't like a lot of reading when they are on a time crunch to fill a position.

If you get called for an interview, make sure to read up on the company that you will be interviewing with. When they ask if you have any questions about the job or work place, ask the interviewer relevant questions. For instance, if you are interviewing for a big company, ask how many employees it has and how many you could potentially be working with. Also, ask the interviewer how long they have been with the company and ask how they decided to get into that line of work. It shows interest.

NEVER EVER ask about money on the first interview. Let the interviewer ask you about it first. Otherwise it could make you come across as greedy and may make the interviewer think you are only going to be there to draw a pay check.

Lastly, don't forget to write a thank you note. Seriously. If there are 50 qualified applicants, and only one writes a thank you note, chances are that one will be the one to get the job because they showed courtesy and their name will be on their mind most recently. Use a thank you card or even a special stationary to look more professional and help seal the deal.

Good luck to all those job hunters out there!

Source: I read a lot of articles about job hunting and resume writing. So far, my favorites are from - How To Ace A Job Interview and How To Write An Impressive Resume. After reading those two, I had no trouble getting my last two jobs. My old job I was at for three years before I graduated college and am now starting my second year at my current job.

By Sandy from Alabama

Thank you for sharing this information! I knew about everything except the 'thank you note' and doing that makes a lot of sense!

I'd like to add a couple to your list. We recently interviewed a batch of applicants for an open position and I was surprised by the number of people who did not turn off their cell phone during the interview. It's distracting and a turn off to your potential employer. Also, when you leave your resume or complete an application, pay careful attention to your appearance. I've seen applications flagged when someone came in with a disheveled appearance. Great post!

I disagree with the 1st tip. I've never read an article or heard any pro say a 2 page resume is a good idea. Experts say hiring managers, especially now, take 10 or 15 seconds to glance at a resume. You must condense your skills to focus on that particular job. No one will look at a 2 page resume.

I've found the business database Reference USA to be a valuable research tool. Check at your local library to find out whether they subscribe, and of course, you'll need a valid library card number with online access. You'll need to enter your card number in the edit box every time you access the site for company info.

I have online access at my local library, so I log on to the library website. Then I click on "research resources," then "research databases." Reference USA is in this list.

If your target company is listed on Reference USA, you can glean information such as the name of the company president, as well as the heads in several other departments: I've often found names for the Finance, Sales, Marketing, and HR departments. You can learn the number of employees, the number of computers, when the company was founded, and even occasionally read articles connected with the company. You can also sometimes view the company website, which is often full of pertinent information and can help you to formulate intelligent and informed questions.

Best to you who are searching for work in these tough times - any little edge helps!

CS7: That's why I said to only make it two pages if you have enough experience to cover it. For instance, if you are a rocket scientist looking for a job in the space engineering program (my town is literally filled with them), then you can fill two pages easy with information on when you spoke at a keynote on space exploration, when you got published, etc. If it is an accounting job you are looking for, then no, you don't want two pages. You have to consider the type of job you are looking for. I neither assumed nor expected everyone on here to be looking for basic office work or to be specialized in any certain area of knowledge. While most employers do spend an average of 10 seconds glancing over a resume, the specialized employers do take longer to review the resumes due to the fact that they are looking for more specific qualities and experience. That is important to remember.

Some great ideas posted but let me share what I know from over 15 years of recruiting experience. There is no rule that says a resume' HAS to be one page. A page & a half is a good size for an experienced professional or journeyman. If you are in engineering or a very technical field, a page & a half is enough to cover essential skills, experience & accomplishments. For additional pertinent skills I found preparing a series of "addendums" with project experience that is provided only when an interview is requested. That way specific & only pertinent skills & experience can be provided.

Yes, the typical hiring manager spends only about 15-20 seconds scanning your resume'. BUT if you write in easy to read bullet formats with succint language, you will have their attention. Succint means using as few words as possible to say a lot! That takes a lot of practice to write that way. That is why I always edited my applicant's resume's to show only what is important about their skills & abilities.

I could go on for hours about resume' writing having written several hundred successful ones. I'm not bragging that I'm the best resume' writer in the World but, number 1 & 2 make sure to send me a Christmas card each year (just joking). A couple of points not covered in Sandy's article; spell check the #$@& document! NEVER lie or misrepresent your abilities, employers see right through it. Don't understate your experience either. Always include in your "bullets" a couple of examples of where your contributions made a difference that either made money or saved money for your employer. That always catches their eye. Always quantify this accomplishment with a percentage, actual dollar amounts, time savings etc.

People & employers either consciously or unconsciously make prejudicial assumptions about you from your resume'. Do NOT include any information about marital status, age, hobbies, or affiliation with any non-professional organizations, especially religious ones. You have no idea how much damage this causes a person.

Remember this one fact about writing your resume'. The purpose, & the only purpose of the resume' is to get an interview with a perspective employer!

Contact me directly if you want some pointers on writing an excellent "eye catching" resume'. It's a lot easier than you might think.

Thank you for this beautifully written article. I enjoyed reading it.

Looking the Classifieds for a Job
Finding a Job
Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 25, 2009
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
Pirate Party
Pirate Themed Party Ideas
A man in his hunting clothing.
Hunting Theme Party Ideas