Recipes Using Soy Milk

I am able to buy soy milk at 30-50 cents a quart (our cow milk is now almost $6 a gallon, so this is a huge savings). My family won't drink it straight (even though it is flavored) but I would like to try cooking with it. Does anyone have any recipes to share that use soy milk?

I started buying this as one of my daughters has to take a powered medication 2-3 times a day and she takes it in chocolate milk. With the chocolate in the soy milk, she will take it, but I'd like to try and save even more by cooking with it also.

April from NW Missouri

You can substitute soymilk in many recipes in place of regular cow's milk. My son has a milk allergy, and I've used soymilk to make quickbreads, muffins, smoothies, etc. with good results and in baked goods, no one can tell. Good luck.

I found the soy milk on sale and decided to try it hoping it would help menopausal symptoms,,lol,,,tried a glass and didn't care for it, grew up on a farm and love the fresh from cow,, can't break myself,,,

This morning I used it instead of water in oatmeal, it was really good. So I think as the other poster said it could be used in cooking and baking,,.macaroni and cheese, potato soup, I'm going to try creamed gravy also.

So, do you all think I would be ok just using it as it is when ever a recipe calls for milk??

I've been lactose intolerant for quite awhile and have been using soy milk in place of cow's milk. The only thing I HAVEN'T been able to make with soy milk is instant pudding. Where do you get soy milk so cheap?

Most of the time, you'll do fine since and the tastes are mostly neutral. You'll run into trouble if the recipe depends on milk curdling because soymilk probably won't do that.

I'm amazed that you've found soymilk for so little. Here in NYC, soymilk is more expensivew than milk, especially the organic soymilk. We often make our own soymilk with a soymilk maker.

I can't drink it straight (use chocolate soymilk to drink), but I cook regularly with the straight soymilk. I use it same as cows milk. The chocolate soymilk is also very good in place of coffee creamer, in my opinion

Where do you find it so cheap? Aldi's got a decent price but it still runs me about the same as regular milk.

Every morning I mix 2 T. of protein powder with low carb soymilk in a small Oster blender and use it for my hot cocoa and cold cereal.

The cocoa also receives a splash of flavored decaf coffee and some artificial no carb flavoring by DaVinci Gourmet.

My son just turned 1, when we switched him to cows milk he got super constipated.. I wont get into details, but basically we started giving him soy milk and he's been doing great. I get a bottle of it for $1.39 @ Aldi's. I think there's 32 oz in a bottle. I went today and bought 6 bottles, The only down side is the stuff they had at Ald's has to be refrigerated, I found it at Wal-Mart, more expensive, but it can go in the cupboard and save room in the fridge. As far as cooking with it, I haven't tried it, but I'm going to try to make mac N cheese with it as another poster suggested. Thanks for the great topic!

I found when making instant pudding with soy milk you have to use the brand name puddings for it to set up right. I use the Jello brand.

Here in Columbia, MO a gallon of 2%milk costs $2.83.This is at WalMart and other stores run about the same. Where do you get cheap soy milk? It is quite high here.

I get the soy milk from a family in our homeschool coop. He farms soybeans and the wife has a machine to make the milk. She cans it, (we provide our own jars) and it does not have to be refridgerated until opened.

Thank you for the tip on your milk prices in Columbia We are going in a few weeks for a 4H event and I think I will take a cooler and get several gallons to bring home.

Not a recipe but a word of warning: I would be wary of drinking a lot of soymilk, which is highly touted as quite healthy. Soy contains phytoestrogens--hence, msburny's reference to menopausal symptoms below. I had a hysterectomy over 20 years ago, but just a cup or two of soymilk gives me cramps, bloating, breast pain...the whole nine yards. I would never, ever, ever give soymilk to a boy. Just my two cents worth.

Many soy brands have a lot of sugar. If you have this sugar solution washing over the teeth, you will be needing to clean in between them all the more, and get the best preventive dental care to keep the dental bills down.

Here, in Williamette Valley, or I buy Pacific (brand) low-fat soy milk at Bi-Mart for $1.50 per qt. When it comes on sale, I get it for 99 cents each qt. My 7-yr-old grandson loves it and I do too. And it doesn't spoil like cow's milk.

Tofu
Recipes Using Soy
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceSeptember 23, 2008
Using Soy Flour
Using Soy Flour
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
Soy candle in a glass jar.
Making Soy Massage Candles
🎉
🎄