BathroomCleaning

Gray Spots On Tub

Our bathtub is an older, porcelain style tub. We have very hard water in our town and we do not have a softener. Now the tub has developed some gray looking spots on the bottom and I have no idea how to get rid of them.

I have used everything from bleach to CLR (calcium lime rust) cleaner advertised by Paul Harvey. The CLR may have made just a slight difference, but only after I let it sit for a while and it wasn't nearly enough of a difference.

Does anyone know of anything that REALLY works on spots like that? I am thinking they are just soap scum and hard water deposits, but I guess I'm not really sure. Any suggestions?

Robin

Try Lime Away. Also, I read a tip in The Complete Tightwad Gazette last night about lemons and....I think it was baking soda....applied to a rough-surface tub that would not get clean any other way. I can check it again for you if you do not have a copy. I HIGHLY recommend this book, it's already saved me tons of money.

I have the same problem. I make a thick paste with baking soda and water. It takes a little elbow grease, but I have always got the spots to come off.

two words: pumice stone. I bought a plumber's friend pumice stone, and it cleaned all of the mortar rasidue, rust stains, and hard water stains out of my tub and toilets. It was a $2.99 miracle worker for my bathrooms.

Try making a paste of lemon juice and cream of tarter. Place on the tub and let sit overnight. In the morning, just rinse away and the spots should be gone.

Try Barkeepers Friend, it works on everything here and we have very hard water, Good luck

Try using a Magic Eraser (either Mr Clean or generic). Our tub had the finish damaged (before we moved here) and this is the only thing that works for me.