Advice for Painting an Accent Wall

I want to paint a wall in my bedroom. Is there a decorating tip that will help me choose which wall I should paint? The wall that you face as you enter the room that has a window on it, or the wall to the right that is opposite the bed?

By Jodiann from Ogden, UT

Which wall to accent is a matter of personal choice, and you should take into consideration the overall space. But the wall that comes into view that is opposite the main enterance is most often the feature wall and usually the safe choice to paint with an accent color.

All the rooms I've ever seen that had an accent wall had a solid wall accented, not a window wall - usually the wall that the bed goes on. Good luck with your project.

I agree with the idea that the wall opposite the entrance to the room is usually the focal point wall. This would be the one you would want to have the head of your bed on.... usually. Use the same shade as the other 3 walls but one (or possibly 2)step darker on the paint strip. That way you'll always know it "goes" together.

Try to watch episodes of "Sell this House." The designer on that show is especially gifted at choosing colors for paint, defining accent walls, and furniture arrangement. Where I live the tv show is on A&E on Saturday mornings.

Good luck and enjoy your new room!

I painted a 8x12 bedroom where the window was on the opposite wall as the door the accent wall was a fresh green think of spring, and the others were a moderate yellow, not neon not gold. The green was called Shakespeare and the yellow was sunshine. The focal wall was not a drastic eye popping difference but it was nice use of two different colours it looks awesome because it wasn't a very big room and it made it seem bigger. I could have also done the right hand wall that the bed was on but it just didn't seem to appease the eye quite the same, often on tv designer shows you see the wall that you see as you walk in as the focal wall.

painting accent wall
Accent Wall Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingApril 15, 2009
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
white molding red wall
Molding Advice for a Red Wall
Living Room 2 Different Colors
Painting a Living Room 2 Different Colors
🎉
🎄