Growing Angel Trumpets

I planted young and older growing Angel Trumpets in my six acres. First in the shade; no flowers, then in the sun, flowers. But, what is the best way to support them, and keep them from getting too cold? Should I use any fertilizer or special soil? Thanks.

By Phyllis from Clermont, FL

I have 1 yellow I started as 8 inches 3 years ago. Planted in huge planter for trees & have it sitting on my back deck in full sun. Doesn't take much water-Approx 1 gallon weekly until hottest summer, then 2 gallons weekly.

I live in Conroe, TX, Zone 8. On the 2nd year, it bloomed the most beautiful flowers! I use Miracle Grow for roses once monthly as it's next to my roses & just convenient. I sprinkle 2 tablespoons of epsom salt every 6 months, raking into soil & water. Never been moved & covered with sheet on freezing nights. The branches die back but come spring, grow again. Best luck.

March 23, 2010 Flag

Can anyone tell me how to grow angel trumpets? I have the pods which contain the seeds. I need to know where to plant them and when. Thank you.

Barbara from Port Austin, MI

Growing Angel Trumpets

Be aware that angel trumpets (daytura) are quite poisonous, though beautiful to look at with the hanging trumpets. They contain an alkaloid and have been known to poison pets and children, so just be careful if you plant them. (04/15/2008)

By Ellie

Growing Angel Trumpets

Here's another warning about the trumpet plant. Here in Ohio, last summer, we had a huge problem with teens and young people using the pods to get high (can you imagine!?). So please, if you plan on planting these, destroy any pods that develop! I don't think any deaths happen as a result, but I do know of one teen that spent a terrible 12 hours in the ER waiting for the effects to wear off after having his stomach pumped! For what it's worth, they are lovely in the garden. (04/22/2008)

By momma red

Growing Angel Trumpets

Keeping Your Angel Trumpet Healthy:

Hailing from South America, these beauties prefer damp conditions with warm days and cool nights. Angel Trumpet's are in the Solanaceae family, which is the same family that tomatoes, potatoes and petunias are in. However, a word of caution: Angel Trumpets are extremely toxic.

Once you have acquired an Angel Trumpet, the next step is to keep it healthy. First you will need to make sure if you choose to grow yours in a pot that the pot and the plant are both well balanced so the wind cannot knock it over. The limbs of these plants break fairly easily and although this will allow you to multiply your collection, the trick is to grow your Angel Trumpet into a large size tree for maximum blooms.

Remember to leave enough room at the top of the pot to thoroughly water it. They need a lot of water and can handle being watered daily in the hot summer months.

Be sure to fertilize your plants with a good fertilizer at least every two to three weeks so your plant will produce a maximum amount of blooms. A commonly used fertilizer such as Miracle-Gro, Peters, or Andersons 17-17-17 is a good choice. If your plant is in the ground, a fertilizer of 15-5-10 can be used.

To boost the foliage on your Angel Trumpet, a good dose of ammonium nitrate (34-0-0) applied in early spring and late summer, is best. Use approximately three tablespoons for every two gallons of water that is applied. Ironite can also be applied once every season with the exception of winter.

Another suggestion would be to give your plant some shade during the hot part of the day. Angel Trumpets prefer full sun, but the heat from the sun can result in slowed growth, sparse or no blooms and leaf loss.

Providing Optimal Growing Conditions:

If you live in zone 9, these are long-lived perennials, but if you are in zone 8 or lower and the roots should freeze, they will die. The best thing to do is over winter them in a sunny window or prune them back and store them in a cool, dark place such as a basement. (05/02/2008)

By Mythi

Datura Angel Trumpet
Growing Angel Trumpet
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 23, 2010
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Crocheted Heart Angel
Crocheted Heart Angel
Crochet Angel
Making a Crochet Angel
book angel
Making a Recycled Book Angel