Funnel When Filling Small Jars

I buy my spices in bulk and then pour them into spice bottles using a funnel. Although this is a good way to keep them from spilling over the counter top, they would clog in the narrow part of the funnel and I would have to keep pushing them through. I came up with the idea of cutting the bottom off of the funnel so that I had an opening of about 1 1/2 inches and now the bottles are easy to fill.

I also use the funnel for bottling the small amounts of jellies and pickles that are always left over when I make preserves. The regular size pickling funnel is too big for filling smaller bottles and using my customized funnel with the smaller opening avoids messes.

By mother of 5 from Nova Scotia

Thanks for letting me know that this does work, as I had thought about trying this very same thing myself but was unsure if it would work. And if it didn't, then I would be out money that I desperately need (don't we all).

Mother of 5, you're a genius! I thought I was good at thinking outside the box, but I never thought of this. I have two funnels the same size (the second one came in a set), and tomorrow one of them will have a 1" opening!

Colorful Funnels
Using Funnels in the Kitchen
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 18, 2010
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Uses for Baby Food Jars, Three Jars Full of Baby Food
Uses for Baby Food Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling