Saving for Next Christmas

I noticed today at the grocery store we sell gift cards you can keep loading. Hey, everyone needs groceries! So I decided after Christmas I am going to get one and put $5 on it every payday, which is $10 a month, and by next Christmas there will be roughly $100 on it without me going broke because I did it this way, and a very wonderful gift for my mom! Now, this idea can be for most any store as they all seem to sell gift cards, and can be given to any recipient, so go ahead, plan one or two for next year.

By Linda from Bellevue, NE

Good idea, but one thing you need to watch for, when the cards expire. Some cards expire in a short time and then the money is lost.

Might be better to put your money in an interest bearing account all year and THEN go buy your gift card.

It's a good idea. I say do whatever works for you and you're comfortable with, just check first if there's an expiry date on the card. Usually with top-up cards (like supermarkets) there isn't so they can be a pretty safe bet. It's easy to ask to make sure. Anything that takes the pressure of extra expense over the holidays gets a thumbs-up from me :)

Some cards (like Home Depot & most Master Cards/Visa types) that you buy for gifts, not only expire in One or Two years, They also can loose a certain percentage per month or per quarter... So you may THINK your giving a $100 gift... But IF the person waits to long, They may only get a $50 gift, or even LESS!... States like New York & others are getting fed up with the fine print that tells you about this... So some states are passing laws that you have to be TOLD about this fine print when you purchase a gift card! HURRAH for these Consumer friendly laws!

* I just LOVE the idea of putting $5 or $10 on a Grocery store card each pay day (or even only 2 or 3 dollars) every time you shop.... You can do the same thing on a Michael's or JoAnn fabric card... & These don't HAVE to be gifts for someone, but instead, the "gift cards" can be your way of saving for Next Years' Holiday Season (when you have family or friends over or staying with you, you'll have a little extra money to use...) or you can use the cards yourself to buy actual Christmas gifts for your family next year!... This way, you'll have an extra budget to either serve food, make cookies & treats for gifts, or make crafts & clothes next year! (like I do)

---> I JUST LOVE YOUR saving IDEA!...

I'm Sooo bad about putting money away, maybe because I have so little to live on during my "off season"... But your idea, can "save the day"!

---> JUST DON'T LOOSE THE CARD!!!

Check the expiration or 'start to use by' dates.

Call around first to save gas and time. Ask the head MANAGER if the cards hold a secret fee and an expiration date. Have them put it in writing. Make sure every reciept is kept from each deposit to the card, along with the manager's signature. Photocopy your card and the number in case it is lost, this way, you can phone the company and let them know for a replacement or refund. Cover your back, so-to-speak!

thnx 4 the tip

Budget & Finance Saving MoneyDecember 21, 2007
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎄