Homemade Cold Remedies

Looking for homemade remedy for colds.

Wanda from Hinesville, GA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If your cold has chest congestion involved, mix these up (yuck I know) but it sure works for me.

lemon juice

cayenne pepper

honey

mix well and as to desired taste, within minutes I feel the fleghm breaking up. Take this, two tablespoons at a time, and as often as you need to. It is amazing for me!

Head cold or sinus headache (this works for me)

Take one good fitting bandana

rub a good amount of Vicks on forehead

then put the bandana on your forhead so you don't ruin your pillows or get the Vicks in your hair.

This is amazing for me. I hope it works for others.

Good luck, Maryjo

I've always used the same "Fresh Lemon half, Cayenne & Honey" in boiling water, but for adults (without a drinking problem) you can also add a shot of Vodka, Rum, Whiskey or Southern Comfort to it. And if THAT don't put you to sleep, Nothin' will! And if it doesn't put you to sleep, then maybe at least you'll forget all about your cold! But the truth is, it REALLY does help your cold!

The trick is to make sure it's really hot & to sip it while breathing in the hot steam at the same time. And keep a Kleenex handy. You'll need it once the Cayenne hits you!

There are so many different homemade cold remedies. You did not mention what cold symptoms you are trying to treat. For chest cold try this use fresh slices of ginger and steep in boiling water for about 15-20 minutes making a concoction. Cool it a bit. In the meantime while the ginger is soaking cut a few strips of muslin, cheesecloth or flannel into strips approx 2" wide by 12 to 15" long and dip them into the hot mixture. Wring them out and apply to the chest and cover with a plastic bag and have the patient lie down.

When they have cooled repeat the process, do this several times. If the patient has had tightness in the chest he or she should begin to feel this tightening ease. You can also use dried eucalyptus leaves in place or ginger. If you do not have fresh ginger you can also substitute 1tsp of ground ginger for each quart of water used.

For a sore throat steep a tsp of Marshmallow root in boiling water for five minutes, add some honey to sweeten and sip slowly. For a cough try making a concoction of wild cherry bark and licorice root. Approx one ounce of each in one quart of water, simmer until reduced in half.

After you have strained the herbs from the water, measure out two cups of the concoction. Adding water if you do not have a full two cups, and add one cup of sugar or honey, simmer this until reduced in half. You now have made homemade cough syrup! you can bottle this in sterile brown or cobalt bottles, cap or cork and store in refrigerator.

.

I have made this on several occasions, and I felt better

Flew brew

Juice of one hole in lemon

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Add enough hot water to make 1 c.

When we were little, my best friend's granny used to give us rockcandy that had been soaked in whiskey. It was not enough to cause any problems, but it was enough to sooth. Of course, I wouldn't advise this for kids, but for us adults, it might actually be a little treat.

I take dayquil during the day and nyquil before bed. Take it religiously and the cold will last no more than a day. Also, when you feel a sore throat coming on, a single shot of Jose Cuervo tequila (no lime, no salt) will make it go away.

Got this one from my doctor: gargle (do NOT swallow) with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water for sore throat. Honey and lemon in tea is good for a sore throat, too. Also, when I get a coughing jag, I take a shot of Jack Daniels.

General Feelings of Sluggishness

Bullshot: a cube of beef bouillon added to a cup of tomato juice, served warm/hot. It's healthful and hearty, and will warm you up from the insides.

Sore Throat or Cough

1 shot of whiskey (any kind you can stand to drink)

1 whole lemon, cut into slices

1 TBSP honey

prig of mint (optional)

Put them all into a small saucepan and warm on low heat, just until it steams a bit, then pour into a coffee cup and drink in small sips.

Head or Chest Cold

1 quart chamomile tea, double strength, hot but not boiling (very warm, really), to sooth the stomach

1/2 C Heinz apple cider vinegar (the kind with vitamin C)

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper to get the mucous to flow, ridding your body of impurities

Stir together and drink by the tablespoon, one at a time, every fifteen minutes, until it's all gone. You may use honey if the taste is just atrocious to you.

ALSO:

Engage in regular neti jala (using a neti pot to clear out the nasal passages) during cold and flu season, and also during allergy season.

Eat plenty of vegetables, fresh or fresh-frozen rather than canned, and plenty of fruit. Don't forget to drink a lot of water/liquids, too.

Get eight hours of sleep every night. Most of the time, a cold is just your body's way of forcing you to finally take a day off and sleep.

Answer

Woman With A Cold
Homemade Cold Remedies
Health & Beauty Home RemediesOctober 3, 2008
Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
Computer
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 16, 2016 at 9:22:23 PM on 10.0.1.38 in 493 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.