Smelly Paperback Books

I recently purchased a large lot of paperback books. The books are in great physical condition. They smell horrible. I believe they have been in a garage for years. (Old gas, oil, exhaust-just like you would think). Any way to remove the smell? Thanks!

Alsy74 from Falmouth, IN

A book dealer told me that he removes musty mildew smells by putting a scented dryer sheet in the book, then putting the closed book in a closed box for a few days.

Try enclosing in a bag of kitty litter for awhile.

I've had good luck removing all or most of cigarette smoke smell from paperback books by placing the book and about a tablespoonful of unused, dry coffee (NOT instant) in a zipper-style bag. Takes at least a couple of weeks, but it works the best of anything I've tried. Good luck!

You can also try good old newspaper. In a container that can be tightly closed, put in a few books and some sheets of crumpled newspaper. Leave for 2-3 days. Try changing the newspaper out after each day. The smell should attach to the newspaper.

febreeze 'em! Works for me

Cleaning Paperback Books
Cleaning Paperback Books
Home and Garden Cleaning Books and PapersJuly 25, 2007
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 12:32:20 AM on 10.0.2.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.