My Frugal Life - Avoiding The Fast Food Life

Frugal living has been a way of life since I was a small child. Coming from a large family of 8 in a rural small town, I was raised in a simple environment. We grew vegetables and ate wild game and fish. I married, had a child and cooked inexpensive meals and cut corners with coupons, thrift store finds and cheap entertainment such as board games or cards.

Move forward to 30 years later and I am divorced. I found myself caught up in the world of fast food, dining out and spending way too much money. it is harder being single and frugal rather than being in a family environment. I recently went on a financial budget. I do not eat out at all for thirty days at a time then I only eat out with a coupon. I shop at discount grocery stores and cook and prepare my meals at home. I like to travel so I use a small cooler to carry my food and drinks in. I have saved a average of 45.00 a week.

I miss the fast life, until I look at my savings account.

Tamde from Pomona Park, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Yes, I think the fast food places are conspiring against us. There is one on every corner almost and then there is the drive through which makes it just too easy. My pocket book and my health both benefit if I don't eat out.

Now that I'm retired, I luxuriate in the time to shop and plan and prepare more home cooked meals. I enjoy trying new recipes and thinking of creative ways to use leftovers, new twists on old favorites, and other ways to stretch food dollars and enjoy our meals. Eating out has returned to what it was in my childhood, an infrequent treat or a necessity of travel, and we rarely eat any fast food. When we do, we remember that it's generally too greasy,high in carbs, over seasoned, and ultimately unsatisfying.

Looking back, though, I wish I had learned the lesson earlier about fast food habits and frugality. While I was working, with a husband, a teen and a toddler (my children are 10 years apart) it seemed it was all I could do to open the paper sack and say "dinner's here" on many more nights than I like to admit.

Congratulations, Tamde for sharing this lesson.

Woman Avoiding Fast Food
Avoiding Fast Food
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeSeptember 26, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Woman choosing between an apple and a hamburger.
Eating Healthy at Fast Food Restaurants
Slim Fast Bottle
Homemade Slim Fast Recipes
🎉
🎄