Reentering the Job Market

I took time out from having a paying job to raise my child. My husband can't seem to find more than a part-time job. I have a teaching degree, but I would have to take 6 credits and spend about $1000 to renew my license, then I still wouldn't have a guaranteed job. Should I try to renew my license?

We are hurting financially. My husband and mother-in-law want me to try for disability, but I feel that I can still work and don't want that label. Their pressure and the financial woes are depressing me. Help!

By Sandy from WI

There may be some tax advantage to getting you license/credential. If you set up in solo practice (as a tutor/substitute teacher) you can deduct many of your expenses: portion of your car (and all of its expenses: insurance, car washing, motor club, etc!), your home (and all of its expenses-heat,water, insurance, etc). Turbo tax will take you through all the possible deductions. Keep your receipts (a plastic bag in your glove box is adequate). You want to have financial flexibility for the long haul. I am a Speech/language Pathologist and have been in practice a long time. Working for yourself is not easy since you never have time off but it is sooooo worth it.

Good luck and don't worry. We are all here to support you.

Apply for the disability if you can. One of the options that will come from that is help for gettng back into the work place. I applied for SSD and after acquiring it was introduced to the work program to be re-integrated into the work force. It is okay to accept disability just don't fall into it as a crutch. Many people get SSD and then give up and let the govt. take care of them. They are the ones that get the label and use it when ever and how ever they can. It is an excuse for them to be lazy. But for someone like yourself, you can use it as a tool to get back on your feet and move away from it. The govt. is all to eager to accept someone who wants to move off SSD.

Are you willing to start a day care, than you can still stay home for your children, and yes there are a lot of tax breaks. My sitter had to drive her kids to school, and she had to take my child in the car with her (claim the car).

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobApril 10, 2011
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
Finding a Job That Will Pay for School
level and tape measure
Repairing a Sagging Floor
Businesswoman putting money into piggybank at desk.
Using Your Job to Save Money
Finding a First Job, Newspaper with Jobs as the heading
Finding a First Job
🎄