Cooking Okra

If you like Okra, but don't like the stringy consistency when cooked, just slice and saute in a little oil until lightly brown. This will seal it, and then you can add other ingredients and it will not be "slippery". I add onions and green peppers with my okra as I saute it, and, sometimes, add tomatoes and heat through before serving.

Funny footnote: We have not always been from the south, and were introduced to Okra when we moved here. A coworker of my husband's told him about Fried Okra and how to fix it. We got the okra and he sliced it as instructed. . .then decided that he should have washed it. So he proceeded to do just that. If you know anything about Okra, you will certainly see the humor in this story.

Thanks for the recipe....I will try it tomorrow as we have alot of okra. I loved your story....I am from the northeast and never heard of okra before.Love it now though

I was born in Arkansas, but my Mother thinks there's something seriously wrong with me. I don't like okra or pecan pie.

It's OK. I moved to California, and no one notices anything out of the ordinary.

I love okra, I'm from Kentucky. It's one of the foods my parents never had any trouble getting me to eat, after introducing me to it. Although Mom prepared okra many a different ways, on one occasion, Mom had left the okra whole and dipped it in a thinned pancake batter & fried it. A neighbor kid came around while we were eating. Mom invited him to eat with us. He did. His Mom called my Mom a few days later asking about 'some green fried fish' she'd prepared for the meal he'd had at our house. Mom said "we didn't have any fried fish at that meal, but we did have fried okra." The woman implied that her son would have never eaten okra. Mom said that was the only thing we had fried & that he ate it and loved it. LOL, it surprised the woman. I don't know if he still eats fried okra or not. But your cute story reminded me of this.

I have a funny..........My husband's lunch's were always being stolen from him at work. Knowing how slimey boiled okra is I decided to boil some for his next lunch and mixed it in with some veggies and put some on his sandwich. I did this for a couple of days and after that his lunches were never stolen again.

My mom always dipped the sliced okra in egg and then cornmeal then fried it. It was great!

I was just wondering if there is a healthier option other than frying as I had Okra at a restaurant recently as part of the Entree buffet and I am sure it was roasted. Any tips if it has been done this way as I have bought some to attempt!

fried okra
Cooking Okra
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesSeptember 18, 2006
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Okra
Drying Okra for Crafts
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
🎉
🎄