Paint on Polyester

How do I get an indoor, white paint stain (now covered by black permanent marker) out of my daughter's black polyester, crinoline and nylon dress?

By Stephanie from St. Louis, MO

Use odorless mineral spirits. You can find at Home improvement stores. Learned this from a carpet cleaner friend who uses it to remove paint from carpet. Just remember to blot and not rub it out.

Try rubbing Goop handcleaner into the paint and leave it on a while to soften it. Then, scrape it with a knife to get as much off as possible. Repeat if needed, then launder.

You can try fingernail polish remover, but that could ruin the dress.

How about one of these ideas:

Cover the white paint with more permanent black pen, then put an iron-on black lace applique over it. These iron-on black lace appliques come in all sizes & shapes & are sold at the fabric store & sometimes you can find them in the craft isle at Walmart & no sewing needed! You can even cut one of the lace appliques down to size by cutting around the design. Use several paper towels over the fabric when you iron-on the applique to help protect it from the heat!

You could also embroider the area with small black beads. Or use black fabric paint to paint a simple vine over the stain, then cover the wet black fabric paint with black micro-glitter. Then when paint is dry, shake off the extra glitter & the micro-glitter will only stick to where you painted. Or crochet a flower with thin black cotton "knit-cro-sheen" then stitch this crocheted flower over the stain.

* In my experience, Goop only works on oily & greasy stains, not on paint, but it's worth a try!

I used the hand wash that you don't need water for (the smell of it is enough to strip paint). Put a little bit on and rubbed in with a hard toothbrush. Just kept reapplying and brushing till it was all gone then washed as normal and all is well. Good luck.

How do I get red paint off my black basketball shorts?

By her from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

The only thing I've ever had any luck in getting paint out of fabric is with Goof Off. You can buy it in the paint dept. of Home Depot, and follow directions. The only thing is, it does smell, so you will then have to wash your shirt after using it. Just hand wash it in cold water and some detergent afterward. Good luck, hope this helps! (03/20/2010)

By hannahmallory23

I got some paint on my tracksuit bottoms and they are my only pair. I really need help removing it. The fabric is polyester and has nylon in it. Thanks.

By Grace

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

I have had good luck with hand sanitizer removing paint from my clothes. Try a hidden place first to make sure it is safe on your fabric and then if safe, soak the stain in hand sanitizer and rub fabric together or scrub with a hand brush. You can repeat the treatment if it is working but not finished. Hope this helps. Good luck in track! (01/28/2010)

By flying-brush

I have a bridesmaids dress that my friend gave to me for me to wear for prom. It was hanging in my closet and somehow got two spots of white paint on it. It is 100% polyester. What can I do to get the stains out? Can I do it myself or is it best to have it done professionally?

By Kristi from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

Since the dress is borrowed, I would first take it to the professional cleaners and let them attempt to get it out. (10/27/2009)

By Lorelei

How can I get gloss paint off my daughter's new dress? The material is 95% polyester, 5% viscose.

Lorraine from Liverpool

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I usually use this on pesky stains or smudges I get on my sneakers. I pulled it out to see if it works magic on some polyester basketball shorts I had paint on, and it did. After 10 minutes of hard scrubbing it looks new, with no foul odor or anything, you won't believe it until you try it. (03/08/2009)

By 7nick1

My DH, not thinking, wore his white polyester tank top when he was painting something black. He got black paint splatters on the shirt and I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could use to get them out. Thank you in advance for any advice on this.

Janice from Illinois

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

I totally agree on the rubbing alcohol method. I got paint on my curtains while I was painting my kitchen. I used rubbing alcohol to get it out, it really does work. WD-40 works too, but the stench is hard to get out. (10/18/2008)

By Nicole SD

Can anyone please advise about removing dried in eggshell (oil based) paint from a polyester jacket.

Virginia from UK

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

Try using WD40 on it. Spray and let it sit about 30 minutes and then launder.Works for me! (04/06/2007)

By busdrivr

Paint on Polyester

I was a painting contractor and the product they are talking about is denatured alcohol and I think it might melt your jacket so be careful.
(04/07/2007)

By denise warner

Paint on Polyester

I removed oil paint (which dried in overnight) from my polyester North Face jacket using the above method. The paint thinner worked beautifully. I simply doused a few paper towels and it removed the oil paint instantly. The hard part is removing the odor from the fabric. Good Luck. (10/14/2007)

By Joseph from Jersey

Paint on Polyester

Thank you for all the valuable advice. I eventually succeeded by using WD40 and rolling the fabric in my fingers. It took ages but the paint gradually came off. I had to wash the jacket 2 or 3 times to get the WD40 out. Thanks! (10/15/2007)

By Virginia2

How to remove paint from a polyester ski jacket? The paint is dry.