Paint on Polyester

How do I get an indoor, white paint stain (now covered by black permanent marker) out of my daughter's black polyester, crinoline and nylon dress?

By Stephanie from St. Louis, MO

Use odorless mineral spirits. You can find at Home improvement stores. Learned this from a carpet cleaner friend who uses it to remove paint from carpet. Just remember to blot and not rub it out.

Try rubbing Goop handcleaner into the paint and leave it on a while to soften it. Then, scrape it with a knife to get as much off as possible. Repeat if needed, then launder.

You can try fingernail polish remover, but that could ruin the dress.

How about one of these ideas:

Cover the white paint with more permanent black pen, then put an iron-on black lace applique over it. These iron-on black lace appliques come in all sizes & shapes & are sold at the fabric store & sometimes you can find them in the craft isle at Walmart & no sewing needed! You can even cut one of the lace appliques down to size by cutting around the design. Use several paper towels over the fabric when you iron-on the applique to help protect it from the heat!

You could also embroider the area with small black beads. Or use black fabric paint to paint a simple vine over the stain, then cover the wet black fabric paint with black micro-glitter. Then when paint is dry, shake off the extra glitter & the micro-glitter will only stick to where you painted. Or crochet a flower with thin black cotton "knit-cro-sheen" then stitch this crocheted flower over the stain.

* In my experience, Goop only works on oily & greasy stains, not on paint, but it's worth a try!

I used the hand wash that you don't need water for (the smell of it is enough to strip paint). Put a little bit on and rubbed in with a hard toothbrush. Just kept reapplying and brushing till it was all gone then washed as normal and all is well. Good luck.

April 19, 2010 Flag

How do I get red paint off my black basketball shorts?

By her from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

The only thing I've ever had any luck in getting paint out of fabric is with Goof Off. You can buy it in the paint dept. of Home Depot, and follow directions. The only thing is, it does smell, so you will then have to wash your shirt after using it. Just hand wash it in cold water and some detergent afterward. Good luck, hope this helps! (03/20/2010)

By hannahmallory23

March 18, 2010 Flag

I got some paint on my tracksuit bottoms and they are my only pair. I really need help removing it. The fabric is polyester and has nylon in it. Thanks.

By Grace

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

I have had good luck with hand sanitizer removing paint from my clothes. Try a hidden place first to make sure it is safe on your fabric and then if safe, soak the stain in hand sanitizer and rub fabric together or scrub with a hand brush. You can repeat the treatment if it is working but not finished. Hope this helps. Good luck in track! (01/28/2010)

By flying-brush

January 23, 2010 Flag

I have a bridesmaids dress that my friend gave to me for me to wear for prom. It was hanging in my closet and somehow got two spots of white paint on it. It is 100% polyester. What can I do to get the stains out? Can I do it myself or is it best to have it done professionally?

By Kristi from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

Since the dress is borrowed, I would first take it to the professional cleaners and let them attempt to get it out. (10/27/2009)

By Lorelei

October 26, 2009 Flag

How can I get gloss paint off my daughter's new dress? The material is 95% polyester, 5% viscose.

Lorraine from Liverpool

Answers:

Paint on Polyester

Mr Clean Magic Eraser. I usually use this on pesky stains or smudges I get on my sneakers. I pulled it out to see if it works magic on some polyester basketball shorts I had paint on, and it did. After 10 minutes of hard scrubbing it looks new, with no foul odor or anything, you won't believe it until you try it. (03/08/2009)

By 7nick1

October 22, 2008 Flag

My DH, not thinking, wore his white polyester tank top when he was painting something black. He got black paint splatters on the shirt and I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could use to get them out.

November 1, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

April 4, 2007 Flag

How to remove paint from a polyester ski jacket? The paint is dry.

Photo of a man painting his house.
Removing Paint Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsApril 19, 2010
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
A woman ironing clothing.
Ironing Polyester Clothing and Fabric
Ironing Polyester
Removing Shiny Iron Marks on Polyester Clothing
Polyester Fabric Squares
Making a Rug from Polyester Fabric Squares
🎉
🎄