AdviceHealth & Beauty

Home Therapy for Torn Lumbar Disc

Does anyone know exercises I would be allowed for a torn lumbar disc? I want it to heal on its own, but I hate to pay for physical therapy I could do at home. I go to the Y 4 times a day. I mostly am on the EFX machine. I use to do a lot of full sit ups (300), but I am afraid to do them now.

By Shirley

Has it been diagnosed by a medical professional. If so, they should be able to tell you what to do at home.

Consult with physical therapy they can reduce the number of times you go but i highly suggest you go because if it does get worse later on the insurances will look at it and will deny surgury because of it. we are going through the same process with my husband. his case of back problems they wont even talk about any other options untill he does the physical therapy part. he has degenerative disc disease and siatic nerve problems.

Shirley, Anyone who tries to "heal" a bad back, be it a bulging or herniated disc all by themselves are very, very foolish. Get to a orthopod ASAP or you risk hurting yourself, possibly to the point of using a wheelchair. I know whereof I speak. I had fusions of L4, L5 and S1 and it was the smartest thing I could have ever done. Good Luck!

Joyce

Use an inversion table. It will increase the space between the vertebrae, taking the pressure off the disc and nerves, alleviating some pain. When used faithfully, it will help the healing process. Often a doctor will write a prescription out so you can buy one of your own.