Furnace Filter Doesn't Get Dirty

My furnace filter never gets dirty. I think it should. If anyone has any thoughts as to why it never does I sure would appreciate some comments.

Tom from Ely, MN

You might have to call in some one who repairs furnaces. We have to replace our filter every year which takes care of our furnace and A/C.

There is defintely wrong if your filter isn't collecting the dust and particles, it is going somewhere else other then the filter.

Have you got the filter facing in the right direction? It may not be catching the dust etc. because it is backward. If you have a owner's manual, check it to make sure.

We just had our furnace checked for winter, he automatically puts new filters in. I told him they didn't look dirty to me (trying to save money on an already $93 service) he said..oh they are plenty dirty. They looked clean, just grey. I told him and he said, thats the dirt..They are supposed to be white! When I saw the NEW ones I knew he was right! The dust/dirt collects inside the filter so there was no heavy collection on the outside. We replace ours in spring and fall, because either heat or air is on.

You can check the filter yourself, to find out if it's installed correctly. There are arrows on the edge, which should be pointing in the direction the air flows into the furnace (from the ouside, toward the inside of the furnace)

I had my filter in backwards and used to wonder why it didn't appear very dirty. After I was shown which way the air flowed and corrected the installation, my filter proved to be plenty dirty.

This just MIGHT ALSO BE a broken motor which is used by the Furnace to bring in fresh air, but must be repaired by a professional, REPUTABLE furnace repairman. It might cost in the neighborhood of $150, if my guess is right. The motor we had to replace was inside the furnace area, NOT outside in the compressor. God bless and help you. : )

FROM MN TOO.

I replace my filter on the 1st of each month of the heating season (Oct-April). I use the cheaper ones, makes me remember to do it. Tried the expensive ones, did not see decrease in house dust or allergies.

The arrow on the filter MUST point into the furnace. The filter usually slides into the side of it. So depending on which way it was set up, the arrow must still face the furnace.

If you do not have "normal noise ongoing, call your local heating and plumbing store there in Ely. They may give you a heads up over the phone (MN nice). If you have no problem with heat cycling, etc make sure your cold air ducts are not blocked at all (gets the fresh air return to the furnace.) If you have not had it cleaned in a few years, get it done. Or take off your register covers and go for the vaccum cleaner and long wands.

You don't say whether your heat in natural gas, propane, etc. Don't know if it makes a difference, just call your H&P people.

My filter is the same way, before we got a new furnace/a/c it was always dirty, when I changed it in spring and fall. I called the company and asked them why it did not get dirty? They asked me if there was a lot more dust in the house to dust and I said no, they said it is doing its job.Also got new carpet, maybe that helps also.

Changing a furnace filter.
Furnace Maintenance Tips
Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairNovember 13, 2007
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Refrigerator Water Dispenser
Changing Your Refrigerator Water Filter
Man Changing Air Filter
Controlling Indoor Allergens
Furnace Filter
Changing a Furnace Filter
🎄
🍂