A Simple Way To Conserve Water

contest winner icon

I decided I was tired of standing at the sink running the water down the drain, while I waited on it to change to hot water to use. My goodness what a surprise I had when I used a pitcher to catch the water! I was wasting almost a gallon every time I was waiting on the water to get hot. Now I keep a pitcher nearby, and I save the water to use during the day.

Calculating the savings: 2 gallons a day (AM and PM) = 14 gallons in one week or 14 x 52 weeks = 728 gallons a year I was throwing away. Now I simply use the pitcher of water to make tea, coffee, or to water plants. I cannot imagine how much the gallon of water was costing me while I waited on the water to turn to hot. This is the most simple "going green water" solution I have come across yet, and all you need is a pitcher.

By Marsha from Greenville, NC

This is an attention getter and you have a great saver idea. Thanks.

We also keep a bucket in the shower to catch the cold water, great for watering plants, soaking clothes, washing the car. The list is endless.

Great tip! Imagine the savings if we all did it!

We solved the problem by putting a circulating pump on the hot water line and now when we turn on the hot water it is hot. Home improvement centers have them in the plumbing department. We saved the water as well before we put the pump on.

I catch the cold water in a pitcher while waiting for the hot water. I then use it to water my plants in the yard. I also purchased an instant hot water unit $175 and installed it on the kitchen sink. Now when I want to make a cup of tea, instant coffee or soup I save even more water!

Great idea. I rarely use my dishwasher more than once a day. I keep a plastic dishpan in the sink and have the kids put their glasses and snack or cereal bowls in the pan and during the day run that water that we let run to get hot into the dishpan. At night I load those dishes that are already soaked into the dishwasher and empty the water onto my shrubs and tomato plants planted by the back door like my grandparents used to do. My plants love it. As long as you are not using detergent in the pan it is great for even houseplants.

Hi everyone talk about putting the saved water on plants etc. Why not just drink it like you would if it came out of the tap or use it in your jug when you have a cuppa?

Melinda

I have my washer in the bathroom so while wating for the hot water to shower I run the water in the tub. Then I throw that water in the washer to use for laundry.

dripping faucet
Saving Money on Your Water Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterJune 28, 2011
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Conserving Water at Home
Conserving Water at Home
Above Ground  Swimming Pool
Saving Energy on Swimming Pools
🎉
🎄