Tiki Torches Won't Light

We have tiki torches that I bought last year and never used. We filled the 'tanks' with lamp oil as per directions and let them soak, but can't get the things to light! I was so disappointed.

Any ideas? (I even tried BBQ lighter fluid on the wick)

Irish from Fort Worth, Texas

You mentioned "lamp oil" per the instructions. But most of the tiki torches I have seen require "tiki torch fuel." Lamp oil, I think, is different, and is for indoor lamps. If what you bought is clear fluid, perhaps sold in a vaguely lava lamp-shaped bottle, it's almost definitely the wrong type of fuel.

I would suggest maybe going to a hardware store and getting a jug of <i>tiki torch fuel.</i> It usually comes in a clear gallon jug with a built-in handle and is translucent yellow in color. I think it's often scented with citronella.

Then maybe see about replacing the wicks. You should find them in the same area as the fuel. Let 'em suck up the fuel for a bit and then light 'em.

'Course, you posted your message in July, and the tiki torch season is likely well over by now. But maybe you can use this info for next season!

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is but your wicks have been contaminated with the fuel. Perhaps the fuel was bad. If you change to an another fuel, you should purchase new wicks. Sorry. The best, economical fuel for your tiki torch is tiki torch fuel. There are a variety out there that are quite inexpensive. There are also new, non-petroleum-based tiki fuels which burn with noticeably less soot, smoke and are odorless.

Holidays and Parties Parties OutdoorJuly 21, 2006
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Light Colored Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Light Colored Carpet
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Best Christmas Light Shows. House decorated in white Christmas lights
Best Christmas Light Shows
🎄