Grammaw's Lye Soap

My sister got this at a church circle meeting during the 70's. It's called Grammaw's Lye Soap. I call it the best complexion bar ever.

• 3 lbs. lard or strained meat drippings
  • 2 1/2 pints water
  • 1/4 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
  • 1 can Lye

Mix ingredients in a glass or plastic bowl. Stir with wooden or plastic spoon. (Lye will react to metal of any kind) Stir constantly until it's the consistency of cake batter. Pour into a box lined with waxed paper. The box in which soap is placed to set up should be on several layers of folded newspaper sections and should be about the size that will fit 2 six packs of cola drinks. Cover with a heavy towel. Allow to set for 24 hours or untill solid. Use rubber gloves to cut into bars. Let it age for about 2 weeks before using. Lye will be very caustic during the mixing and setting process so this should be kept out of the reach of pets and small children. After it ages, it is wonderful for complexion problems and for dry skin. All bar soaps have lye in them so there is nothing to fear. I used it for years until I got too trifling to make it. It costs just pennies a bar.

By MartyD from Houston,TX

thank you for posting this recipe my friend had made it years ago and was trying to tell me how to make it on the phone today but couldnt remember all ingredients it was strange to see it posted...i love homemade soap and have been wanting to make it so often...i will give this a try

Hi, I was just wondering, how much is a "can of lye" exactly? I've never made soap before, and I just want to make sure that I do it exactly right!

Thanks :)

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes SoapDecember 3, 2007
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Cutting Homemade Soap into Bars
Making Soap Without Lye
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄