Pet StainsPets

Dog Footprints in House

I just got laminate floors in quite a large area of my home. We have 2 dogs, both labs and one of them is leaving footprints wherever he walks. Any suggestions? Why wouldn't they both be leaving them? The prints go away with rubbing your sock over them but my floors never look clean! I love the new look, but am not very happy with how often they need to be cleaned. I have also found that they streak, unless I get down on my hands and knees.

Donna from Maple Grove, MN

Anonymous

we have the same type of floors throughout our house also tiled floors and we have the same 'footprint' problem. You will eventually see some scratches, dog hair, drool, pieces of toys, chewies and everything else that goes along with being a pet owner. Even though the floors need constant cleaning, I will never go back to carpets. Ever! Especially with pets. I don't know why doggie footprints show up so often but they do and I just sigh heavily and get the floor cleaner and mop. Gotta love it.

I have laminate floors too and I love them! When I mop I also get streaks unless I follow up with a dry mop or towel to remove them. You need to do this before they dry so you are removing the wetness before they have a chance to streak. It sounds like a lot of extra work but it really isn't when you think about how many times you have to go over carpeting with a vacuum before you pick up everything! I mop an area approx. 4-5 ft by 4-5 ft and then go over it with my dry mop to dry it then move on to a new area.

I am shopping for new flooring for my kitchen. Would you do it again if you had it to do over?

I use a steam mop and quick clean/wax product when I do my floors. If I mop with the grain they don't streak.