Keeping Someone from Buying an Item You Bought Them for Christmas

How do you tell someone not to buy something because you already bought it for them without them knowing that you bought it for them? This is for a Christmas present for my sister and I don't want her know what it is. It is a movie by the way in case you ask.

Tell her they are coming out with an enhanced version in February and she should wait because it will be better.

We had a family rule that you couldn't buy anything for yourself before the holidays after one year where practically every present given was something the other person ended up buying for themselves before gift giving time. This was when we were all living together though so it made it easier to uphold.

Awesome idea Jen! Keep the ideas coming though.

In our family when someone is wanting to buy something we have bought them for Christmas, we would say "Better wait, you might be getting it for Christmas." But then I guess they would probably figure it out. Then we would say " Maybe just have to wait and see."

My sister is 17 and is sneaky about finding a way to find out what she is getting for Christmas or birthdays or what ever. It is easier to hide gifts from her now because I don't live at home anymore but I also can watch what she buys anymore. :(

Jen's idea sounds good, I also would mention to hold up on buying for self until AFTER holiday so you can get best deals and more for your $$$.

Santa and his bag whispering hush.
Keeping Christmas Gifts a Secret
Holidays and Parties Christmas AdviceNovember 19, 2008
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄