My Frugal Life: Watch Every Penny

I am a 47 years old, and now on Long Term Disability for the first time in my life.My Frugal Life Things are very difficult when it comes to paying my bills.

My first tip for saving money would be to watch every penny. I go to the library for books. When I find an advertisement for a new book that just came out on the market that I want to read, I order it from my library. In fact, I can get online to my local library and order it from the internet. No gas needed. Instead of buying magazines, you can check out up-to-date magazines at the library also.

I pay my bills on the internet, no gas or stamps needed. I clip coupons only on items that I normally use, not just because I have a coupon. You need to be wise when using the coupons. I set a firm budget for myself every month and stick to it. When I need to go out, I make sure that all the things I need to get done using my car get done in one trip. It saves a lot of gas. As far as my grocery shopping goes, I make my meals for the week by what is on sale at the store.

I take what money I save for the month, whether it's a big or small amount, and put it toward my credit card bills hoping I can pay them off early. I don't go to movies I wait until they come on TV or maybe once in a while rent a DVD. Since I pay for the internet, I use it a lot for information on everything and also just for entertainment. While I do this, my TV is off.

By Linda from Muskegon, MI

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Our local libraries also have DVDs for rent which saves us a lot as we love movies. Hugs.

You could cut out the extra coupons and ask permission at the library to put a box in there with the extra coupons for others to use. And yes the library is a great place to get DVD's. They may be a little older,but hey they're free. You might want to check out the freebie and frugal sites on the computer and send for free samples. I have enough shampoo won't have to buy any for a year.

Look at regularly & you can get lots of free magazines (& then donate them back to the library or elsewhere). There are also lots of other samples, especially for deodorant, shampoo, skin care, even some food, which should be fun to receive in the mail & will help your "bottom line." Go & enjoy!

Most of the major magazines have online versions, and I read a great deal of them....Here are my favorites:

Parents Magazine

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Good Housekeeping

Dog Magazine

Guideposts ... amp;gclid=CN-bjKvkiZkCFR8hnAodU0zNlg

Owl Kids

Family Circle

Better Homes and Gardens

Also I know a computer person that fixes computers and above all he is honest, he is my neighbor and he told me is the best antivirus-spyware program and it is free. I did it and it is great. It talks to you and tells you things. Also there are other versions you can buy but he puts this free version on all the computers he fixes.

I am also disabled and do almost everything you do except my one splurge is leaving my one little 12 inch color TV (my one and only TV) on 24/7 as company and to mute outside apartment noises from bothering Rachel the Cat and I. I don't feel guilty about that one splurge for that tiny TV at all and am Blessed because my electric company gives me a 30% discount from a disability or retired program they have. (All you need to do is ask them for an application and give them proof of disability or retirement age)

I love Walgreen's weekly coupons and am able to save 50% to 75% on anything from TP, vitamins, dish soap, laundry soap, stationary items and even olives that I normally use! The best deal for me for an occasional DVD rental splurge for the latest releases is Red Box where you can rent for just $1.15. My nearest Red Box is one block away. I also check Wal-Mart free samples online once a week and have saved oodles of money on dozens of items I use regularly.

Good for you for your frugality and thanks so much for sharing. :-)

I have another tip on watching movies - get them from your library. You have your library card & can get movies, books on tape, etc. And credit cards, we carry just one credit card, although I do have a department store credit card too but we always pay them off every month.

I also am on disability; have cable basic TV only with internet for $37 a month; read a lot from library as well!

Love to garden; buy spices a teaspoon or so at a time from bulk; make your own cleaners in house; use Biokleen laundry soap; no fillers; will last you a year!

I shop at the As Is Goodwill store; clothing is $1.29 a lb; and shoes a $1 or $2; found an osterizer milk shake maker there with 2 shakers; and an excellent mixer; only $3 each; my grandkids will still be using them!

I have an air popcorn maker, and feed the birds with that; no oil or salt for them!

Lots of joy and fun watching them! and it is free!

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeSeptember 15, 2010
putting a penny into a pink piggy bank
What Have You Done to Save a Penny?
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes