Save Chip and Cracker Crumbs for Meatloaf

Instead of using bread crumbs or bread for your meatloaf mix, save the crumbs from the bottom of the chips, crackers, Fritos, Dorito's, even seeds from bread sticks. Just save them in a old bread bag and crush them together. You will not need to salt your meat loaf. Don't worry about the crumbs being stale, when it cooks in the oven you will never know.

By Karen from Michigan

Interesting idea. I already save bread crusts cut from the little ones sandwiches in a bag in the freezer and use them to make either breadcrumbs or homemade croutons.

Good thought for the larger household!

I do buy the bread crumbs in the can at the store and it really helps a meatloaf hold it's shape and stretches the meat. If you've not tried this I think you'll find it's cheap and easy . Bread is too expensive anymore to have any waste,at least at our house where there's only 2 of us now.

Instead of breadcrumbs I add oatmeal to my meatloaf. It's more nutritious, the meatloaf holds it's shape (I bake it on a broiler pan so the fat drips through) and the texture is great.

I like to crumble the ends of the bread. No one usually like to use them for their sandwich. Freezing the bread crumbs will help them keep longer.

I ran out of bread crumbs, and I wanted to make cube steaks (I usually bread mine,before I fry them). I had some wheat thins,that had grown stale. Instead of throwing them out, I put them in my food processor, and crushed them. I also added some Italian seasoning, basil, garlic powder, oregano, parsley, and a little bit of thyme, I made my

own Italian bread crumbs. I stored it in a air tight container. I didn't really measure anything, just did it by eye measure, so I don't really know how much of each,I put in. Weezy

I also use the chip crumbs and bread and cracker crumbs for breading fish before I "fry" it in the oven. They give it a different flavor and the family loves it. It's a great way to save money on buying prepared crumbs.

I've always saved the heels from our loaves of bread and popped them in the freezer until I was ready to make meatloaf.

Cracker Crumbs on Wooden Cutting Board
Using Cracker Crumbs
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsMay 30, 2008
A bowl of potato chips.
Recipes Using Potato Chips
A sundae made with a brownie and ice cream.
Uses for Brownies (and Brownie Crumbs)
Mexican Meatloaf
Mexican Meatloaf Recipes
Cheesecake with a graham cracker crumb crust.
Saving Money on Graham Cracker Crumbs