Alternative to Swiffer Duster

I'm pretty sure anyone who has used a Swiffer duster, loves them. My problem is, with an extreme allergy and asthma sufferer in the home, I have to dust constantly and Swiffer dusters aren't cheap. I'm trying to find an alternative. I don't mind buying something as long as I don't have to keep buying refills. I need something for dusting that can work for dusting things like books, etc.

By izzytheterrible from Tampa, FL

I don't have allergies in the family, and not sure if you have a problem with it. What about Endust and an old prefolded and sewn baby diaper?

Static dusters are great for this. see: http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/static_dusters.htm

Costs you nothing after you've bought it!

I have gone through this myself. My grandson that lives with me suffers from allergies from dust, dogs, and cats. The specialist that he goes to told me that you need to use something wet to keep the dust from flying back into the air and redistributing. Even the swifter duster does this. Just use and old towel or washcloth and dampen it slightly or spray furniture polish on the rag then dust. Good Luck! Been There Done That.

You can't beat an old fashioned lambs-wool duster.

I think those floor care things in the dollar stores might be just right. A handle with a swivel flat head that you can attach whatever kind of cloth you like. I like the microfiber cloths, also available in the dollar stores.

I use the microfiber cloths. You can get them in all sizes; just dampen and wipe away. Then you just throw in the wash!

I have dust and dog allergies as well as hayfever to some extent, and I know I don't dust nearly often enough. But, when I do, I use this method:

Fill a mid-sized (5 gal, approx) bucket with very warm water. I add a capful of Pine-sol or Citrus Clean for a fresh scent.

I usually end up using an old shop rag or dish rag, although I know something like an unused cloth diaper would be better. I dip the rag in the warm water and wipe each surface as thoroughly as possible. Rather than relocate everything from each surface and replace, I shift things on each surface and replace once the surface is dry. As I handle each object, I give it a good wipe, too.

That even goes for the surface of my land-line phone. If my cleaning/dusting water gets too dirty, I empty and replace it with a fresh batch. One bucketful usually suffices for my small living room, though, and another for my bedroom.

Last but not least, for the comfort of allergy sufferers, you might consider minimizing "dust catchers." Unless those stuffed animals or knick-knacks hold sentimental value, consider giving them away or repurposing. So far, there's only one item I haven't been able to dispose of on Freecycle - most of the time, requests start rolling in within fifteen minutes of my post!

Home and Garden Cleaning DustingAugust 30, 2009
WetJet Package
Unclogging a Swiffer Wet Jet
Crocheted Broom Handle Duster
Making a Crocheted Broom Handle Duster
Ostrich feather duster against a blue sky.
Cleaning a Feather Duster
🎄