Remedies for Sore Cracked Nipples from Breastfeeding

Category Breastfeeding
Ensuring that your baby is latching on properly will help prevent sore nipples. To treat them, check with your nurse, doctor or La Leche League for safe products to help them heal. This is a guide about remedies for sore cracked nipples from breastfeeding.

Just wondering if using vaseline petroleum jelly is ok to use on cracked sore nipples when breastfeeding?

mrmlucky13

Best Answer

I had similar problem last year and early this year when my baby was breastfeeding. I agree with the earlier post. Improper latching is no 1 cause.

For treatment I was advised to use Lansinoh. It is safe for you to leave on while breast feeding. No harm to baby. Also if you have privacy then stay without bra for some time after each breast feed session and lansinoh application.

Best of luck

Best Answer

La Leche used to recommend pure lanolin for sore nipples. I would check with them if your doctor or hospital doesn't have a nursing consultant available. Check to see if there is a La Leche League nearby. I agree with the above post that the number one reason for sore nipples is baby not latching on properly. Good luck and don't give up!

Best Answer

My daughter had some lanolin, called PureLan, that she used. It came is a tiny jar like the Carmex lip balm. It says on the jar that it was made for nipples and nursing moms.

Best Answer

Petroleum jelly is okay to use, but be sure to wipe it all off before your baby nurses. Wiping it off might hurt, so I suggest getting some Lansinoh lanolin instead. It is safe for the baby to have in his/her mouth. You can buy it in drug stores or in the baby section at Wal*Mart.

Best Answer

I agree with putting your milk on your nipples. Leave your nursing bra flaps down and let them air dry. This will work.

Also, contrary to a previous post. DO NOT give honey to an infant. It can carry deadly spores that a babies digestive system is not developed enough to handle. No honey until after 2nd birthday.

TC in MO

Best Answer

I just wanted to let you know about BagBalm in the little green tin. They use it in the milking barns on the cows udders and it really is a good product for healing and soothing chapped hands and all manner of other ailments. Give it a try and keep some on hand!

Best Answer

They gave me Lansinoh at the hospital. You don't have to wipe it off before feeding. Also make sure you have a good latch on. Best wishes!

Just express a little of the milk yourself and rub it all over your nipples. This is extremely healing. Petroleum jelly will just soften them and make them even more sore. It could also upset your baby. Persevere. I know from very recent experience what you are going through. Even try a nipple shield available from drug stores very cheaply. Also a little honey helps to soothe and heal, but dont use one with ANY additives. Just use pure honey. A tiny dab. Very best of luck and congratulations on your baby. Your are obviously a wonderful mummy.

Editor's Note and Warning: Honey is not recommended for any baby under 1 year of age. Honey can contain bacterial spores that cause Infant Botulism-a rare but very serious disease affecting the nervous system that only young babies can get. Although it may sooth the nipples, make sure that you clean it off well before letting a young baby nurse.

When I nursed my 4 children 40 plus years ago I used lanolin but was told to make sure it was all removed before the baby nursed. Vaseline is a petroleum product and should not be digested. You could buy a jar of coconut oil in the health food section of your local grocery store or health food, get cold pressed which is for cooking. It is extremely healing and I use it for a face and total body cream/lotion. It goes on looking greasy but immediately soaks into the skin leaving it with a slight glow. It is good for you as it has nutrients our bodies need. It melts at body temperature but in the jar it is solid and white. I also like to use it when popping corn. What I do is take a small amount and put into a small jar for rubbing on my body, not from the pint jar that it comes in. I pay about $6.00 for a pint so you see it is quite inexpensive for a body lotion. I have topical dermatitus on my hands and it heals it quickly. It would also be good as a baby bottom lotion as there is no perfumes, addatives, ect. which a baby may be allergic to. My daughter used it on my granddaughter who is now 5 with great results, she is now 5 months pregnant and will use it again. sell5678 @ prexar.com (remove spaces) if you have questions

If, like me, you have delicate red head skin. It is so hard to nurse . After my 4th child , one of the nurses told me to try witch hazel. It did toughen them up somewhat. Most times, I just put a sterilized bottle nipple over mine and they drew through that. works well.