Sore Cracked Nipples from Breastfeeding

Just wondering if using vaseline petroleum jelly is ok to use on cracked sore nipples when breastfeeding?

mrmlucky13

I always used lanolin and that was very helpful. Good luck -- I know your pain!

Tricia

one hint... Stuf called Bag balm. It is usually found in a green tin in the grocery store next to the gold bond powder. THis is AMAZING stufff, The original purpose was to help cows with cracked and bleeding udders. However the old farm wives knew it was pure and natural good stuff for other things too. I have used this on Diaper rash, bug bites, Chapped hands and elbows etc. Nothing cured my childs diaper rash way back when they were small a elder relative of my husbans told me to try the bag balm and within one night that rash had cleared up. Bug bites go away with in a day as well. The best thing is a little green can lasts FOREVER! how frugal is that!

Good luck.

lpfusch

I used A & D ointment, similar to vaseline but w/vitamins, when I breast fed 26 and 20 yrs ago - my 2 turned out fine - I just kept my nipples coated until feeding time, then cleaned off for each feeding.

I wouldn't. I would double check that my baby was latching on to the breast correctly. That's the number one cause of sore nipples. Don't be embarrassed to call the hospital back and request an appointment with the La Leche nurse. She will assist you on the proper way for your baby to latch on. The baby must have much more in it's mouth than just the nipple. If you feel that the baby is latched correctly then call your ob and ask him what he recommends. I often heard that you shouldn't use anything. But it's been a few years since my son was nursing. Good luck and congratulations.

I had similar problem last year and early this year when my baby was breastfeeding. I agree with the earlier post. Improper latching is no 1 cause.

For treatment I was advised to use Lansinoh. It is safe for you to leave on while breast feeding. No harm to baby. Also if you have privacy then stay without bra for some time after each breast feed session and lansinoh application.

Best of luck

La Leche used to recommend pure lanolin for sore nipples. I would check with them if your doctor or hospital doesn't have a nursing consultant available. Check to see if there is a La Leche League nearby. I agree with the above post that the number one reason for sore nipples is baby not latching on properly. Good luck and don't give up!

When I first breast fed- more years ago than I'd like to say- I had the same problem and was still in hospital. the nurses then gave me some kind of a lanolin that worked very nicely. Wiped it off before baby came for dinner!

Just express a little of the milk yourself and rub it all over your nipples. This is extremely healing. Petroleum jelly will just soften them and make them even more sore. It could also upset your baby. Persevere. I know from very recent experience what you are going through. Even try a nipple shield available from drug stores very cheaply. Also a little honey helps to soothe and heal, but dont use one with ANY additives. Just use pure honey. A tiny dab. Very best of luck and congratulations on your baby. Your are obviously a wonderful mummy.

Editor's Note and Warning: Honey is not recommended for any baby under 1 year of age. Honey can contain bacterial spores that cause Infant Botulism-a rare but very serious disease affecting the nervous system that only young babies can get. Although it may sooth the nipples, make sure that you clean it off well before letting a young baby nurse.

My daughter had some lanolin ,called PureLan, that she used. It came is a tiny jar like the Carmex lip balm. It says on the jar that it was made for nipples and nursing moms.

Petroleum jelly is okay to use, but be sure to wipe it all off before your baby nurses. Wiping it off might hurt, so I suggest getting some Lansinoh lanolin instead. It is safe for the baby to have in his/her mouth. You can buy it in drug stores or in the baby section at Wal*Mart.

When I nursed my 4 children 40 plus years ago I used lanolin but was told to make sure it was all removed before the baby nursed. Vaseline is a petroleum product and should not be digested. You could buy a jar of coconut oil in the health food section of your local grocery store or health food, get cold pressed which is for cooking. It is extremely healing and I use it for a face and total body cream/lotion. It goes on looking greasy but immediately soaks into the skin leaving it with a slight glow. It is good for you as it has nutrients our bodies need. It melts at body temperature but in the jar it is solid and white. I also like to use it when popping corn. What I do is take a small amount and put into a small jar for rubbing on my body, not from the pint jar that it comes in. I pay about $6.00 for a pint so you see it is quite inexpensive for a body lotion. I have topical dermatitus on my hands and it heals it quickly. It would also be good as a baby bottom lotion as there is no perfumes, addatives, ect. which a baby may be allergic to. My daughter used it on my granddaughter who is now 5 with great results, she is now 5 months pregnant and will use it again. sell5678 @ prexar.com (remove spaces) if you have questions

I agree with putting your milk on your nipples. Leave your nursing bra flaps down and let them air dry. This will work.

Also, contrary to a previous post. DO NOT give honey to an infant. It can carry deadly spores that a babies digestive system is not developed enough to handle. No honey until after 2nd birthday.

TC in MO

If, like me, you have delicate red head skin. It is so hard to nurse . After my 4th child , one of the nurses told me to try witch hazel. It did toughen them up somewhat. Most times, I just put a sterilized bottle nipple over mine and they drew through that. works well.

I just wanted to let you know about BagBalm in the little green tin, but it looks like someone else has already done it.:)

They use it in the milking barns on the cows udders and it really is a good product for healing and soothing chapped hands and all manner of other ailments. Give it a try and keep some on hand!

They gave me Lansinoh at the hospital. You don't have to wipe it off before feeding. Also make sure you have a good latch on. Best wishes!

When I breastfed I had sore nipples. It was caused because my nipples never dried.Cracked and red, irritated! Ouch. I almost gave up feeding in my third month. My son was a constant feeder and produced so much milk my breasts were full and nipples sore. I BLOW DRIED MY NIPPLES! It worked beautifully. Please try to avoid ointments. Your nipples need to roughin' up and wiping and rubbing will only irritate them more. As soon as baby finishes eating and is burbed go blow dry your nipples. Try the WARM setting, not cool or hot. You will feel relief by doing this I promise! By the second and third time of blow drying! Hang in there it is so worth it for you and baby! LA Leche is who helped me! Enjoy your bundle of joy :)

Jennifer CA

Parenting Baby BreastfeedingNovember 14, 2005
A doctor examining a child with a sore throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Cracked Fingertips
Remedies for Cracked Fingertips
Woman breastfeeding a baby.
Breastfeeding Tips
🎄