Red Castle (Lunan, Scotland)

This is a photo of Red Castle in Lunan, Scotland that I took this spring. The earliest structure was built in the 12th century. It passed through several hands until the 16th century. At that time the owner, Lady Elizabeth Beaton, ejected her husband who had fallen in love with her daughter. Her husband, James, along with his brother, Andrew, laid siege to the castle and eventually burned the residents out. The castle fell into disrepair after that.

The red color comes from the sandstone used to build it, typical of the area around Lunan, Scotland. The tower was built in the 15th century but it is believed that the 2 meter thick curtain wall dates from the 13th century.

By Kathleen

Thank you for sharing this picture! I was in Edinburgh, Scotland in summer 2001 on a photography trip and I loved it so much. We visited many surrounding towns and I got a lot of castle pics in my collection. I would love to go back.

Beautiful pic, thanks again!

Fascinating history! I've always dreamed of visiting the British Isles and seeing those gorgeous Scottish castles in person. Thanks, and thumbs up!

Edinburgh Castle, Scotland
Scotland Frugal Travel Guide
Travel and Recreation TravelNovember 21, 2010
Castle Cake
Making a Castle Cake
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Family in Car Leaving in Winter
Saving Money on Holiday Travel
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄