Be A Movie Extra For Fun And Profit

It's getting to be nice weather and movie shooting season all over the country. Working as a movie extra is a fun way to pick up some extra money. Here in Hollywood, lots of retirees do it to supplement their income (and there are often nice hot meals for lunch as an added benefit.) But now movies are made all over the country so check out your local film commission (there are lots) and ask about signing up to be filmed in your neighborhood! (But remember to bring your own chair, sunscreen, drinks and some energy bars, just in case)

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Hmmm. It is competitive though. I'm writing from Australia. My son has been an extra in several movies, The Matrix, is one. You sometimes have to be on the set very early..like 5am.. and there are other setbacks, very long days, but if you have the stamina, Yes, it's good, pay, good meals while you're on set, and you're in a MOVIE, even though people might get only to see the back of your head!

How does one check out their local film commission? I've always wondered how people get the inside track of a movie coming to town. Any websites I can check out?

The Film Commissions usually have their own websites, which you can google for your area - There are state commissions and within them local and city commissions, all trying to get film biz to come to your area. They will have info/links to local casting...and you can ask who is doing the local extra casting...

I suppose it's sort of competitive - easier for younger folks - they like young crowds...and I suppose I did take the early (& long)hours of movies for granted! (But in the US, remember after 8 hours you get overtime.) To do this regularly you have to have a large & versatile wardrobe...and, yes, stamina - but you arent usually working the entire time, so if you know how to save your energy, you can make it thru...

Any one know anything about being an extra in TV Commercials. Heard there is good money in this also. If so, who and how would we contact someone. Please let me know.

A movie crew came thru our town, did some shooting at our church. Our congregation were asked to be 'extras'. But we not to be paid, but have the satisfaction of "being in a movie". A few did volunteered for it, but said it was not as exciting as they'd thought it was going to be. Grueling hours, long shoots in the desert heat, many, many retakes. Not sure they'd do it again anytime soon, if offered again.

Woman Working Call Center
Finding Part-time Work
Budget & Finance EmploymentApril 11, 2007
Donating a Car to Charity
Donating a Car to Charity
Kids watching a movie at a birthday party.
Movie Themed Birthday Party Ideas
alternatives to ebay
Alternatives to eBay
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a "Nacho Libre" Costume
🎄