Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

My dogs have decided to potty in the house, it seems they will hold themselves til they come in. Especially now that's colder, they will just stand at the door. They especially like to use one upstairs bedroom to poop in, even after they pooped outside! What's the deal? How can I change this around, I don't leave food down and have been crating them, but still I find dog mess. Help.

By Kathleen from Shelbyville, IN

December 20, 2010 Flag

I have two dogs that are brothers, and they are almost 3. They will not stop peeing in the house, we've recently been taking them on a lot more frequent walks, but it only seems to be getting worse. Now they're not only peeing they're pooping, which they never did before. My mom said they need to go, but my brother and I love them and don't want to see that happen. Please if anyone knows what to do let me know.

Christina from Irvine

Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

A vet needs to see them as soon as possible to rule out any physical causes. Humans are responsible for the physical, emotional and mental health of any animals in their care. They depend on us. They have no choice and they deserve only the best care we can give them. They can probably sense they aren't wanted by your mom and it's making them more nervous. (02/12/2008)

By Me

Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

You should make sure you reward them when they go outside. My dog was the same way except he was only pooping in the house. I started letting him outside in the back and I wouldn't let him back in until he went to the bathroom. Now when he goes out back alone he knows what he needs to do to be let back in. Also, make sure after they eat or drink water you take them out, maybe 10-15 minutes. They will get used to that. (02/13/2008)

By Kristina

Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

You honestly can probably fix this problem in less than a week.

First things first.

Are the dogs neutered? If not; do it asap! You can not avoid this! It sounds like the boys are marking their territory by peeing so often everywhere they go. There is no way to train a dog not to mark if they aren't spayed/neutered. Once you get them fixed, the problem usually disappears on its own with a good schedule of set feedings and long walks.

There may be local shelters that offer low cost spay/neuter if that is an issue.

Second, are they on a very set feeding and walking schedule? They should be getting a small snack in the morning followed by a long (30+ mins) brisk walk.

I get ready for work after that and take my guys out for a quick pee right before I leave. Mine definitely need the quick pee before I leave, but are fine after that.

In the evening they should get their main meal followed immediately by another long brisk walk. You just keep walking until they've both done their business. Your heart rate should go up a bit and you should have to focus more on your walking than the dogs. They'll fall in line if you're leading them properly.

You'll also need a few quick walks or let the dog out in the yard in between. Think realistically. How many times a day do you need to pee? Your dog isn't much different.

It takes a little patience, but you'll see in a day or two exactly what you need to do. This really works and it goes like clockwork, but you need to be very consistent and feed/walk the same times every day; no matter what.

You also need to thoroughly clean and scour all the floors and rugs. Try confining the dogs a bit for the first few days to help them get the idea, but they should fall right in line if you are consistent and give them the full exercise they need.

Letting dogs out for an hour is "not" the same as walking them briskly or jogging. This is something you have to do to get these dogs on track.

It's doubtful that this is a medical issue, but if you really put the time and effort in following what I've said to do and there's still a problem; by all means consult a vet.

This is a very fixable problem, but you have to be diligent.

Good luck! (02/18/2008)

By D8

Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

"Always ask the vet." I had your problem with a dog pooping in the house and I almost thought I would have to let her go, but then I called the vet. He said to enclose her in a small area to sleep because a dog won't go to the bathroom where they sleep. I closed her up in the small bathroom for the night and it never happened again. (03/13/2008)

By Stngray

Dogs Have Started Pooping Inside

You can use strong white vinegar and either spray it or sprinkle it on were ever you don't want your cat or dog to "go." =D (03/13/2008)

By Katie

Pets Dogs House TrainingDecember 20, 2010
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch