Boy's 16th Birthday Party: Asian Theme

I need assistance to plan a Boy's 16th birthday, Asian themed (not a 'sweet' 16). Decorations and games need to be cool, not child-like. What do 16 year olds want to do? He recently relocated and wants to make an impression of not being too dorky. I thought of hiding clues in fortune cookies to find presents? I'm making a cake shaped like Chinese take out and sushi sides (cake). Serving General Tao chicken and rice. It's an afternoon party in October 08.

Robin from Milford, CT

As far as decor, I think chineese lanterns and dragons would do wel for a teen. There are some nice decorations available at oriental trading company and their prices are great! Here are their "asian" theme products:

http://www.orie  stURI=searchMain

As an activity they may enjoy a simple origami project. You can get books or check online ofr instructions. I know there are some that only take a few steps.

Ceck with local Kung-Fu or Karate studios and see if there is someone available to do a demonstration for the boys. i KNOW they would love it! Boys love that kind of stuff!

I would do a red and black color scheme, maybe some suitable music in the back ground. The idea of lanterns is good. Or you can go retro and show countless Bruce Lee movies or the Kung Fu TV show (I know its on video), if only because the bad acting is hysterical. Most teens don't do an activity, it's more sitting around, talking, listening to music, watching a movie, acting cool. Hope you have a great time!

If your 16 year old wants to be cool, then it is a really good idea if he plans his own party with limited parental involvement.

I would decorate in red, black, and gold. Sounds like you've already got a good idea for food. Let him plan the party, it wouldn't be "cool" if his mom planned it, even if it's exactly what he wanted. Rent some kung-fu movies and help him find some cool Asian music.

Hope this helps,

Megan