Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Faucet running in a kitchen that uses well water.

Well water can be the best water you have ever tasted, but sometimes it can have a strong, unpleasant sulfur odor. This is a guide about removing sulfur smell from a well water system.

Here are questions related to Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System.

Question: Smelly Well Water

I live in Kalanki, Nepal. I have my own house. My well water was fine a couple of months ago. But now it smells really bad. When I smell it, I feel like vomiting. What should I do?

By Neermal

Question: Reducing Sulfur in Well Water

We live in Florida and have well water. The sulfur in the water is destroying all the piping in the house and our clothes. Is there are way to treat this? Thank you.

By Robin W

Most Recent Answer

By water man 09/30/2014

Hello, I also live in Florida and HAD the same problem! My water softener cured the problem but it was almost due for a service (500$) and I was going through 7$ a week in salt! After referring to my water operator books I learned that sodium hypo chloride is what is used to cure the problem in industrial plants, so why couldn't I do the same at my house! I installed a 8gpd cl2 pump wired to my well pressure switch and mixed pool chlorine 1/4 with water! I no longer have the issue and it cost me about 250$ to install and costs about 1$ a week in cl2.

All that is needed is weekly testing to make sure that you stay with in safe drinking water cl2 levels (.01-2.5 ppm) and your good to go! I run mine at 0.5 ppm just remember, it takes 7ppm sodium hypo chloride to eat 1ppm suffer! I am a certified operator 8 years in the field! Hope this helped!

Question: Removing Rotten Egg Smell from Household Water

Is there a system that will remove the rotten egg smell from all of the water that comes into your house?

By James

Most Recent Answer

By kitkatk100 [6]12/30/2013

My brother had this problem at a house that he was fixing up to sell. A plumber told me that there is a metal rod inside the water heater that, if bad, will cause that rotten egg smell. Unfortunately I don't know the exact name of this rod - it's something like anta-rod - and I don't know how much it would cost to replace it. Good luck to you!

Question: Sulphur Smell in Well Water

I just purchased a rental property and the well water has a strong sulphur smell. My concern is that the house is old and the septic system is within 10 yards of well. Could the septic have compromised the well?

By Vito L.

Most Recent Answer

By Linda [37]04/16/2013

My brother has this same problem. When we visit you almost vomit when brushing your teeth because of the smell. He now pours about 1 cup of bleach into the well head and it takes care of the problem. After testing for the safety of your water, try this. You might even ask your well "carer" about solutions.

Question: Removing a Sulfur Odor from Clothing

For the past three years, my clothes have smelled of a sulfuric type smell. I've (along with my mother) attempted to remove the smell using the popular solutions: vinegar, baking soda, Smellywasher, etc. None of it has worked, ever, at removing the smell although the vinegar solution has made my clothes smell great out of the machine. We've moved into three different apartments over these past few years, so I'm not sure if sulfuric water is the problem (or ever was).

I do know that I heard people say I smelled "gassy" and I do smell something sulfuric at random times. It's in all of my clothes, because people frequently have to breathe "away" or cover their noses. It's been a self-esteem killer and I barely have the ability to look people in the eye. My work requires me to meet with random people (clients) and help them out, and it kills me inside (and makes me nervous, causing me to stutter, turn red, etc.) when they have to cover their noses or breathe away from me, or worse yet, when they get angry. I don't blame them, I just want to get the smell out.

I truly appreciate any help I receive because its ruining my life (already has) to the point where I socialize with only a small group of friends (who swear they don't smell anything, but friends are supposed to say that). I have gained a bunch of weight, and seem depressed (I can't be motivated for anything).

By godsgift2dagame from Champaign, IL

Most Recent Answer

By aleii08/28/2010

hello original poster,
I've been working on removing these odors from my clothing for the past two months and I have had the same problems socially but only recently have I become aware, since I have been on a medication which, believe it or not, heightens my sense of smell. I've read the most obvious stuff about vinegar, baking soda, etc. and you're right, it doesn't work. The smell only gets masked.

Sulfur has seemed to be impossible to remove fully. However I have not lost hope and I believe I will be able to salvage my wardrobe which I love. I have had to go into some chemistry just to get a handle on it.
A very very very small amount when spread to the other clothes will make them smell also. The gas is able to be detected by others around you when in the ppm(parts per million) amount!

Sulfur will change to a gas when it is in the dryer. But not not smell due to the masking by detergent smell. It will also change to a gas when you wear the clothes as a result of body heat. This may take a few hours or many hours. The gas will also penetrate and ruin your shoes as a result of the socks getting warm in side the shoes. So if you have a strong sulfur content you may want to wait till you gain a handle on it then get new shoes socks all at once.

I can at least tell you some things I am sure you have never heard but that I know will help you.

First of all you should figure out how bad your clothes are sulfured and if it would be best just to start over with new everything(bedding included). For me this was my first resort. It worked well and I reduced the sulfur in my life dramatically. However after a couple weeks I slipped and allowed a source to contaminate my wardrobe again. If by any chance you don't know what is your source is, I would suggest it might well have been your water supply or a face acne treatment made by proactiv which contains sulfur.

From the reactions you are getting from people it sounds like you have a very high content in your clothing. You may want to start new. But here is something I bet you wont find anywhere on the internet. If you boil your clothing(that which isn't too delicate) in a stock pot and with a grate to hold them down well submerged under the water than the sulfur will rise to the top of the water. If you can do this, most of the sulfur will be removed. If you have high sulfur content you will see the film floating atop the water. Scoop it out and dispose of it before taking your clothing out from the pot. Use lots of vinegar with dark clothing, it will save them from bleeding tremendously.

When you wash them in the dryer maker sure your mothers load didn't just gas up the dryer. If you want you could take a fan and suck the gases out. And make sure to not use dryer sheets and use only a small amount of detergent so you will be able to smell the sulfur gas easier and get an idea of the progress you are making.

I am working on some other methods involving chlorophyll and conversion of the gasses while in the dryer which I will post the results on later. Good luck!

Question: Cold Water From Tap Smells Like Sulfur

The cold water in our bathroom has taken to smelling like sulfur when you turn it on. After a minute or two, it smells and tastes fine. The hot water is normal.

We have our own well. The faucet is new. We have had this problem before and it went away. This seems to linger on. Any suggestions?

By Sheila from NE

Most Recent Answer

By kathleen williams [23]02/21/2010

Maybe you need the water checked,good luck.

Question: Why Does My Water Smell Like Rotten Eggs?

We just moved into a new house our problem is the smell of our water and drains. It smells like rotten eggs. The washer is gross too, every time I wash clothes they either smell like rotten eggs while washing or the machine does. It is very gross. Taking a shower is also smelly. We don't have hard water and tried that with dish soap and water. Please help.

Jillann from Belleville, IL

Most Recent Answer

By alicia (Guest Post)12/31/2008

Hey I live in Belleville as well and when we moved into our house it had been empty for about 5-6 mos. We had to empty the hot water heater. Turn on ALL hot water faucets. No cold until the water runs ice cold. This cured our "rotten egg" smell and only cost about 10 bucks on our next water bill. Try this before the treatment stuff.

Question: Removing Sulfur from a Well Water System

Our house is currently on a well system. We have sulfur in our water, which gives it a rotten egg smell. At this time, we have a system from Eco Water that uses food-grade hydrogen peroxide to reduce the sulfur in the water. This system was in the house when we bought it 3 plus years ago. We are thinking of replacing this unit and was wondering if anyone has any input on other systems available for this and how they work. We are trying to get rid of the need for the hydrogen peroxide.

Mary from Wilmington, IL

Most Recent Answer

By Farmgal07/25/2013

I purchased a new water heater. The kind with the heat pump. Expensive but supposed to save on electricity in the long run. I never had the smell until I had the new water heater installed. Perhaps it was a coincidence but that is when it started and it is just the hot water?

Question: Tap Water Smells Like Eggs

We have moved into a house in the country with a well. Shortly after moving in, we began to smell an egg smell in our water as it comes out of the tap. I read elsewhere that this is an aeration problem in the water supply, but no advice was given for a homeowner to remedy this. Any solutions out there?

Rebecca from North Branch, MN

Most Recent Answer

By TFed12/28/2011

We also had the rotten egg smell when we bought our house in 2000. We removed the rod from the hot water heater and the smell was gone. Now, 11 years later, it's baa-ack! It's horrible and the water even has a foul taste. We don't drink it! I'm ready to try the bleach method.

However the [Stark County, Ohio] health department recommends a far more invasive and lengthy procedure than those mentioned here. Any thoughts on whether the simple gallon of bleach method is just as effective as priming and flushing?

Question: Towels Smell Like Sulfur

I had to wash my dog in something that has high sulfur in it. Now my towels all smell horrible like sulfur (rotten eggs) how do I get this smell out? I have tried everything.

Derek from Georgia

Most Recent Answer

By Paul Flynn (Guest Post)03/25/2008

If you've tried bleach, vinegar, baking soda, etc.
to remove mildew smell from your washer and your bath towels with no luck I sell a completely natural washer cleaner at www.smellywasher.com that is guaranteed to get rid of smell from your washing machine and/or your towels and clothing.
You can either order online, send a check/money order to our business address or order over the phone by calling 952-465-6444.

Solutions: Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!