Browsing: Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Sulfur Smell from a Well Water System

Well water can be the best water you have ever tasted, but sometimes it can have a strong, unpleasant sulfur odor. This is a guide about removing sulfur smell from a well water system.

Faucet running in a kitchen that uses well water.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 26, 2016 Flag

I'm visiting a friend who lives in a house with well water that smells like rotten eggs or sulphur. Whenever I've visited in the past, I've tried to tolerate the odor, however it's now to the point that I can't even visit because of the strong smell, and the feeling that I have the same odor after bathing or washing my clothes.

I'm sure it's a problem with either her well or hot water heater, however she says they've gotten used it. I only visit occasionally so it's not like I can fix whatever is creating the smelly water, however, I wondered if there is something I can add to my bathwater or washer to eliminate the rotten eggs smell.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My well water smells like sulphur! How do I eliminate the smell?

how can i reduce rotten egg smell from my well water at a reasonable cost

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2016 Flag

I'd like to know what I can do for the sulfur smelling water I have in my laundromat? We only have cold water in the laundromat and the water smells and it doesn't allow my fabric softener to give the clothes the smell it's supposed to in the washer or the dryer. What can I do when I go to Home Depot? Is there something to put on the water line or anything else? Please help me.

This didn't do anything for me I don't have a well

If this smelly water is coming from the pipes which feed your laundramat, Charles, there's a very good possibility the water department of your town or city will have answers for you. Before you spend any money on water treatment, why not ask the folks whose business it is to know?

November 1, 2014 Flag

I live in Kalanki, Nepal. I have my own house. My well water was fine a couple of months ago. But now it smells really bad. When I smell it, I feel like vomiting. What should I do?

By Neermal

Best Answer

You need to get in touch with Nirdhan Utthan Bank Limited in your country and ask for a small loan to get a water filter for your well.

See if you can talk to General Manager Mr. Prakash Raj Sharma or get a message to him that you need a small loan for a filter for your well because you have bad water.

Good luck!

Have someone put Clorox down your well.

April 29, 2016 Flag

I purchased a house back in April 2013 and at the time I purchased a new filter and softener system for the house as the water had a strong rotten egg smell. A year later I had the issue with the hot water (rotten smell in hot water), and I resolved it by changing the anode rod every 6 months. Now two weeks ago I started getting the rotten egg smell in cold water only. I called the company that installed the systems and they did all the chemical tests in water and everything resulted in normal readings. So they recommended line chlorination because they said there might be bacteria growing in plumbing and it might be producing that rotten egg smell. Therefore, we agreed to try; but unfortunately 3 days after the chlorination the smell came back, but it came back even stronger. and again only the cold water. Then the next two days the water was fine without any smell and then it started all of a sudden. (Basically the smell comes and goes.) The strange thing is that I always go check outside to see if the water right after filter also stinks like rotten eggs, but it doesn't. The smell is only inside the house, on showers and sinks.

Thank you very much in advance.

filtration system

Rotten egg smell is usually the presence of sulfur in the water.

October 2, 2008 Flag

We just moved into a new house our problem is the smell of our water and drains. It smells like rotten eggs. The washer is gross too, every time I wash clothes they either smell like rotten eggs while washing or the machine does. It is very gross. Taking a shower is also smelly. We don't have hard water and tried that with dish soap and water. Please help.

Jillann from Belleville, IL

Hey I live in Belleville as well and when we moved into our house it had been empty for about 5-6 mos. We had to empty the hot water heater. Turn on ALL hot water faucets. No cold until the water runs ice cold. This cured our "rotten egg" smell and only cost about 10 bucks on our next water bill. Try this before the treatment stuff.

Had same problem i put 1/2 gallon of bleach down well and poop smell was gone with in a couple hours wait a week or 2 b4 drinking or get it tested to be on safe sideut worked for me hopefully it will do the same for you

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2015 Flag

I have one well with an apartment and a house sharing it. The water in the apartment is good with no odors. The water in the house smells of rotten eggs. Any suggestions? They both share the same pump as well.

Appears there is no easy answer and there can be many variables in the problem. A plumber with well water experience may be able to help.

August 17, 2010 Flag

For the past three years, my clothes have smelled of a sulfuric type smell. I've (along with my mother) attempted to remove the smell using the popular solutions: vinegar, baking soda, Smellywasher, etc. None of it has worked, ever, at removing the smell although the vinegar solution has made my clothes smell great out of the machine. We've moved into three different apartments over these past few years, so I'm not sure if sulfuric water is the problem (or ever was).

I do know that I heard people say I smelled "gassy" and I do smell something sulfuric at random times. It's in all of my clothes, because people frequently have to breathe "away" or cover their noses. It's been a self-esteem killer and I barely have the ability to look people in the eye. My work requires me to meet with random people (clients) and help them out, and it kills me inside (and makes me nervous, causing me to stutter, turn red, etc.) when they have to cover their noses or breathe away from me, or worse yet, when they get angry. I don't blame them, I just want to get the smell out.

I truly appreciate any help I receive because its ruining my life (already has) to the point where I socialize with only a small group of friends (who swear they don't smell anything, but friends are supposed to say that). I have gained a bunch of weight, and seem depressed (I can't be motivated for anything).

By godsgift2dagame from Champaign, IL

Extemely rare genetic condition Trimethylaminuria that causes this smell - your body to not be able to produce an enzyme that breaks down certain foods, like broccoli, resulting in this embarrassing odor.

It took a lot of tries but All detergent counteracts the smell of silver on the laundry

Read More Answers...

January 8, 2007 Flag

Tap Water Smells Like Eggs. We have moved into a house in the country with a well. Shortly after moving in, we began to smell an egg smell in our water as it comes out of the tap.

April 14, 2013 Flag

I just purchased a rental property and the well water has a strong sulphur smell. My concern is that the house is old and the septic system is within 10 yards of well. Could the septic have compromised the well?

Load More
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceApril 16, 2013
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Cleaning Well Water Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 7:10:28 AM on 10.0.2.148 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.