Roast Peppercorns For Intense Flavor

If you like to use freshly ground pepper, try this tip. Roast the peppercorns in a 325 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes, or pan roast on top of the stove for about 5 minutes. When they have cooled, refrigerate.

This will intensify the flavor of the peppers. I buy a large container of mixed peppercorns and roast the entire amount. I return the peppercorns to the original container, and keep refrigerated until the pepper mills are ready to be refilled.

By Mkymlp from PA

This is a good idea. I do this with all of my spices, but use a frying pan on top of the stove. I put any and all spices in my warm frying pan and carefully watch it because they can burn easily. You'll smell the spices intensify.

But do yourself a favor and don't put your nose over the pan like I did. I scorched my nose hairs, I swear!

Nuts can also be roasted in the oven or frying pan to intensify the flavor. You can use less nuts in a recipe this way too, for calorie cutting or frugalness.

Peppercorns and a pepper mill.
Using Peppercorns
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesAugust 14, 2009
Crockpot Pork Roast
Crockpot Pork Roast Recipes
Roast Duck
Roast Duck Recipes
Pork Roast
Pork Roast Recipes
Recipes Using Leftover Roast
Recipes Using Leftover Roast