How Do I Grow A Bonsai Tree?

How can I grow a Bonsai Tree? I need info about the tree, soil and container.

Betty from San Antonio, TX

Bonsai is the art of growing and training normal-sized plants to look like large, aged trees, only in miniature. Because there is a wide variety of plants that can be grown using bonsai techniques, there isn't a simple answer to your question. Containers and soils will vary depending on the age and type of bonsai specimen you grow, aesthetic preferences, and whether or not you grow your specimen inside or outdoors.

In terns of care, bonsai plants are given the same water, air, sun and nutrients they would need to grow into full-sized trees. The trees are kept small by pruning (both the branches and roots), repotting, pinching back new growth, and training the branches to takes shape using wire.

There are a lot of great books, websites, and videos available on bonsai basics. I would recommend reading all you can before jumping into buying a bonsai specimen. Here is an article I wrote a few years ago that will give you a quick overview of the art of bonsai:

And here is a great website called The Bonsai Primer. It contains great information on suitable plants for beginners, pot selection, care and feeding, and the basics on pruning and training.

Good luck!

bonsai tree

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

The answer to that question is too long for a thrifty fun post. I would suggest going to your local library or book store and getting a book on the subject. I liked:

Bonsai ; the complete guide to art and technique / Paul Lesniewicz

The author also wrote a good book about indoor bonsai, although some info overlaps. How you "grow a bonsai" will depend on if you want an indoor or outdoor bonsai and which type of tree you want to grow. There are also websites out there that are helpful, but I would get a book to start with BEFORE you purchase a tree to train or an existing bonsai. Good luck and have fun!

I wish you good luck.I have had 3 in 20 years and they all died. 1-had some kind of funny little white worm in soil, 2.s till cannot figure out what happened and my last one the a/c was too cold on it( I think). I love them. Show pictures, ok?

I forgot to tell you to go to They have a complete forum on them. I found them too late. But Good Luck to you, ok?

Thanks for all the resource info. I'm not too sure I can but I think I'll try later this year and if I do and if I succeed I'll be glad to share.

Thanks again,

Home and Garden Gardening BonsaiAugust 21, 2008
Bonsai Tree
Growing Bonsai Trees
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree