Browsing: Freezer Jam Tips and Recipes

Freezer Jam Too Runny

I tried making peach freezer jam and followed the instructions to a T. It is almost finished sitting out for 24 hours and it looks like it may not be quite thick enough. It looks a bit watery. Any ideas as to why?

By Sandi from IL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but this link below has a lot of info re: jams & jellies and the science behind them. There is also a recipe near the bottom on re-making freezer jam from a failed batch. I didnt know you could do that.

http://www.homefamily.net/index.php ... /foodnutrition/making_jam_and_jelly/

We always make raspberry freezer jam and once I had it turn out not quite as gelled but gelled enough. It of course will be firmer in the fridge and even firmer in the freezer. We always keep ours in the freezer and often I forget to take it out a few minutes early and actually like it on sandwiches when it is frozen.

Or you could use it on pancakes or Dutch Babies in place of syrup.

Best Answer

Thanks Kaelle for that site info. I went there and I may try to remake the jam if it doesn't seem to get gelled enough after putting it in the fridge.

I am now wondering if the peaches I used were too juicy?

I made a batch of blueberry jam and had the same problem. I am too lazy to redo it but I guess if you add more pectin, you could salvage it for jam. I am just going to use mine for pancakes and for topping ice cream.

Freezer Jam
Freezer Jam Tips and Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJuly 23, 2010
Runny Jam
Fixing Runny Jam
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 13, 2016 at 11:19:07 PM on 10.0.0.46 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.