Freezer Jam Too Runny

By Sandi 4 20

I tried making peach freezer jam and followed the instructions to a T. It is almost finished sitting out for 24 hours and it looks like it may not be quite thick enough. It looks a bit watery. Any ideas as to why?

By Sandi from IL

Showing: Answers Sort

By KL 3 554 Flag

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but this link below has a lot of info re: jams & jellies and the science behind them. There is also a recipe near the bottom on re-making freezer jam from a failed batch. I didnt know you could do that.

http://www.homefamily.net/index.php ... /foodnutrition/making_jam_and_jelly/

We always make raspberry freezer jam and once I had it turn out not quite as gelled but gelled enough. It of course will be firmer in the fridge and even firmer in the freezer. We always keep ours in the freezer and often I forget to take it out a few minutes early and actually like it on sandwiches when it is frozen.

Or you could use it on pancakes or Dutch Babies in place of syrup.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi 4 20 Flag

Thanks Kaelle for that site info. I went there and I may try to remake the jam if it doesn't seem to get gelled enough after putting it in the fridge.

I am now wondering if the peaches I used were too juicy?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elaine 173 890 Flag

I made a batch of blueberry jam and had the same problem. I am too lazy to redo it but I guess if you add more pectin, you could salvage it for jam. I am just going to use mine for pancakes and for topping ice cream.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyJuly 23, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Runny Jam
Fixing Runny Jam
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
Freezer Jam
Freezer Jam Tips and Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 6:07:18 PM on 10.0.2.77 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings