Getting Rid of Cottonmouth Snake In House

Where can I buy some snake poison, I really hate them! Now one has bitten my wifes poor little cat and she almost died (the cat). Our vet thinks it was a cottonmouth. Our cats never leave the house so that means the creature that got us thrown out of the garden of eden is now somewhere in my house. Please Please HELP!

Randy from Pilot Point, Texas

You can't poison them, but you can prevent them. You can buy a snake-repellant online or at some feedstore or hardware stores.

Also, snakes hate copper. They won't crawl over a strip of it. Where are the snakes coming in?? Close up the holes (any hole there is likely a place for mice to come in) with wire covered with that foam-in-a-can.

If you're in the country, chickens will take care of a lot of baby snakes. But remember, some snakes are very beneficial so make sure it's a poisonous snake before you kill it.

It's very very unusual for a snake to be inside, but if it is - a cat would find it. The only thing he'll eat would be live food - and you can't poison it and have the food still be living.

Are you sure the snake is a cottonmouth? They usually stay near water. Maybe you have standing water under your house? Most animal controls won't catch snakes for you but they keep a list of people who do. They are called "snake wranglers". They know all about snakes, know exactly where to look for them. Ones around here chage 10.00 for a non-poisonous snake and 20.00 for a poisonous one. Most of them won't kill the snake, they will take it somewhere and turn it loose. My sister lives in Texas and she says don't bother with that black dirt stuff that's supposed to have some kind of snake repellant in it. She says it does not work one bit. Hope this helps.

Get a large piece of plywood. Drill a hole in one corner. Nail or glue on a rat glue trap. Put this where you see snakes. When you get a snake, use something to drag the whole trap with the hole you drilled.

I live in an older mobile home, one day by my back patio door, laying in the sun, was a snake. We live in the country, and I still did not know what to do. I told my husband, and he chased it around for a while with a tool, I guess we looked pretty comical. But, at the time all I could think about was a snake running loose in my house while we were unexpecting and/or asleep. The snake escaped to a bedroom. We never did catch or kill the thing, and no I don't know what kind, good or bad it was. What should I do if this happens again? My luck the thing is living under my bed when I'm not looking.

~the non-snake handler.

I thought cotton mouths were water snakes, too. First, seal your home--drywall and plaster and such. Check under carpets and all the floors, too.

Don't kill a non-poisonous snake. So call the Ag Dept., and find out what kind of snakes live there, and who will come to get it (usually a wrangler).

I googled cotton mouth, and got this. See how easy that was?

http://www.wf.net/~snake/snakepro.htm

I found a copperhead nest in a hollow tree in our yard. My dad solved the problem with a shotgun.

If it were me I would not mess around with a do it yourself solution for a snake in the home that may or may not be poisonous. An old neighbor of mine got a snake in the home that laid eggs and hatched a bunch of baby snakes in the basement. You probably do not want this to happen! I am not sure if there is a special snake exterminator or what but call around and hire some one asap. Also check your home for ways it could have gotten in and repair all holes, cracks, etc. Good luck!

I don't know how to get it out of the house. But once you do, throw moth balls around the outside of your house also edge of your yard. I heard this keep snakes out.

Eeww! This whole post gives me the creeps! I would definitely have to move (sorry, I know that is no help at all)! I do feel for you and hope you find a solution fast!

We have a company called wild creatures or something to that nature. Thye have trucks painted like zebras, anyway they specialize in getting rid of animals where they shouldn't be. My hubby's boss found 2 snakes in their bathtub, it woke him up really quick a morning or 2. But look in the phone book to see if their is some type of animal company help in the yellow pages. Cotton Mouth's are very poisonous! Be Careful.

Thank you all for the feedback you have been giving me. I have not seen this slithering creature but I have put many many glue traps throughout the house I now wish I had a smaller house my wife still is sleeping on the Family Room sofa with the lights on. Our little cat that was bitten by the snake is still recovering but the puncture wounds were very deep and still have not closed but the Vet says she is doing better than expected. I have a snake wrangler ready to come out if we see the snake as at $100.00 per hour I want to make certain he can see the snake without looking. Thank you all

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesSeptember 10, 2007
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Black and White Eastern Kingsnake
Kingsnake Information and Photos
copperhead snake
What Kind of Snake is This?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄